Graco Extend2Fit in Prius C

U

Unregistered

Hi,
first time posting. I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to reply in this forum. I have a Graco Extend2Fit in Prius C. We have it rear facing, using the latch, and very little recline as she's 14 months old. We've always had a hard time strapping baby in. We pull like crazy just to get it so we cannot pinch any straps. We keep her in fleece layers, no puffy coats. My question is, do you have to re-adjust the car seat every few weeks as it has gone out of place? I guess slowly the whole seat gets pulled up from us strapping her in, and the whole seat becomes inclined (like tilted way up). So I have to undo the latch and reposition the whole seat. Is that normal?

(I went to a fire department to get it inspected/installed. The guy told me I can't use the extended piece in a Prius and can't use the latch. That didn't sound right. I asked Graco and they said it's not true. So, I re-installed it again using the extension and latch.) Thanks,

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome! Unless you've put something under the foot area, called the bight, where the crack in the vehicle seat is, over time the seat will become more upright because you are pulling on the harness adjuster strap. This is partly because the Extend2Fit has a rather tight adjuster strap, so you have to tug on it, and partly because of installation technique. One thing you can do is stick a pool noodle or two at the bight (or a tightly rolled towel), keeping the base of the seat level, to keep it from shifting down. If I don't have a noodle or towel handy, I'll jam the base into the vehicle seat back and hold it there while installing (there's the technique portion). Another thing you can do to help keep the seat from moving so much is to grasp the harness from the back and pull it snug on your daughter while pulling the harness adjuster strap snug from the front.

Did the guy at the fire department read the carseat's manual? Did he read your vehicle manual? Was he a certified technician? Not everyone who works at a fire station is a certified tech, unfortunately, though they may be helpful. In my city of over 2 million, we have 1 firefighter who is a tech. That's a lot of pressure on him, lol. Your carseat allows LATCH to be used in the center if the lower anchors are spaced 11" apart and if your car allows it. You can most certainly use the leg extension at whatever position fits best in your vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC