Apex 65 & toddler insert (Canada)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Apex 65 & toddler insert (Canada) - update post 5

I was at our BRU tonight and they have the apex 65 now so I got a chance to play with it a bit and read the manual. :)
I was specifically looking for the wording about the toddler insert being mandatory at all times since a few of us here have heard that. ;)

So the wording in the manual is that "seat pad must be used at all times" - it's the very last warning in the front warning section before any of the instructions are gone into.

Now, the diagram labeling parts of the seat calls the toddler insert a body pillow and in brackets says on some models. I didn't see a seat pad labeled though, so started to wonder if they were just referring to the cover itself, and right now I think that's what they're referring to. I'm going to start a thread in the main forum a little later after kids are in bed asking about their wording...

The reason I think seat pad is referring to the cover itself though, is under the cleaning section, it talks about cleaning the seat pad, and shows removing the entire cover.

So I wrote the model # and all the info down from the seat in the store and I'm going to call Dorel on Monday, but right now, to me anyways, it looks like the wording is that the seat pad must be used - ie the seat cover, and the body pillow aka toddler insert isn't mentioned at all.

Last edited:
ADS

canadianmom2three

That makes much more sense - especially as kids are in the upper weights - I can't imagine continuing to use the toddler pillow or whatever for the big kids

AllieCanada

Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing what Dorel has to say about it. If you are able to take it out this seat might be a good contender for us assuming I can get a good install in our van

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That's what I was wondering too. I know the US instructions are apparently different, so I'm not sure how much help the US side would be.

Let us know what Dorel says on Monday. :)

snowbird25ca

I talked to Dorel this afternoon and they confirmed that the "seat pad" referred to in the warnings is the seat cover. They also confirmed that the body pillow - aka toddler insert, is optional and can be removed.

So the Apex will be usable for the full torso length. Based on a rough estimate, they're around 17 or 17.25" tall. (Didn't have a tape measure so I used my arm & measured it when I got home, so it's in the ball park anyways. :eek: )

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm glad to hear that she was wrong in this case. I'll pass along that info to her. Thanks! :thumbsup:

AllieCanada

Thanks for clairfying the issue. Now on to see if I can get the Apex installed in our van. In comparision to the Radian and the MA when is the Apex outgrown approx age wise? DS is 2 1/2 years, 30 lbs, 35.5 inches and a torso height of 14.5 inches.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I believe it's comparable to the Marathon... may get a tiny bit more room since it's a low profile seat. I haven't had a chance to have it installed in my vehicle though, so I can't say for sure.

snowbird25ca

Thanks for clairfying the issue. Now on to see if I can get the Apex installed in our van. In comparision to the Radian and the MA when is the Apex outgrown approx age wise? DS is 2 1/2 years, 30 lbs, 35.5 inches and a torso height of 14.5 inches.

It doesn't fit quite as long as the Radian, but longer than the MA by quite a bit. Scatterbunny's dd has been too tall for her MA for something like a year? And still has a bit of room in the Apex. IIRC, she would be comfy in the apex - just not have much for growth room, but wasn't comfy in the radian anymore because of her legs. Her dd is 5.5 or 6? If you search her posts you should be able to find something. I know she's posted pic's in the past too. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC