Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Car safety for furry friends

It's been a long time since my kids have been out of car seats for some time. Hoping you can help me. We have a 7 month old 70lb puppy. Expecting him to be 90-100lbs full grown. He's horrible in the car. He can not relax. So I was thinking perhaps he needs the security of a seatbelt besides safer for all of us. So any recommendations that don't cost a lot.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Car safety for furry friends

If you want close control and crash-tested performance, the Sleepypod Clickit Sport is probably the best option. It goes up to a 40" girth. Just about any car harness will help keep the dog in a limited area, which increases safety by reducing distraction. I would look for one where the seat belt goes through a loop right on the back of the harness for the most limited movement. The Clickit has that, but not all others do.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Re: Car safety for furry friends

I literally just registered here for other reasons (relatively new parent of a human) when I saw this post. I've been a parent of a dog for several years now, and I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation of the Sleepypod Clickit Sport. It's a bit more expensive than other harnesses, but it's the only one that passes safety tests (as of late 2013, based on a test commissioned by Subaru: https://www.sosubaru.com/dog-safety-harness.htm).

With a larger dog, you might also want to buy a seatbelt extender. It made the harness more comfortable for our 80lb black lab.
    Last edited by flaquito; 02-21-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Had extra words.