Booster for Europe

kelpiegirl

We are heading to Europe on 3 months. I have a 6.5yr (currently 48/49" and 57lbs). We will really only need a car seat for 3 days in Normandy when we rent a car. The rest of the time we plan to mainly use trains, metro/tube, or be with a friend who has a HB booster. Will a bubble bum work or even be allowed? We also have a mifold and a RSTV. He doesn't like either of those and I really don't want to bring the travel vest. I can purchase something in europe if needed but I will need to bring something with us as I need something for the ride to and from the airport (we are using a rental car to get to the airport to avoid parking fees). He normally rides in a HB booster but has used a backless before without issues.

Thank you,
Susan

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A bubblebum will work fine. While they have approval in Europe your US labeled seat will technically not be legal; however there is a very close to zero chance anyone will notice and I've never heard of a tourist being ticketed for a foreign booster. Try it out at home to make sure he likes it as the feel is Different from a traditional backless booster- if not you might bring a small traditional booster like the Harmony Youth Booster instead.

I wouldn't recommend the Mifold for use in an unknown car due to the very inconsistent fit. If he doesn't like the vest a backless booster is a fine travel choice since you know he does Well.

kelpiegirl

Thank you. Bubble bum it is. I was thinking of printing out the European certification info on their website. He has used the bubble bum before for short trips in other people's cars and he's ok with it. I will need to order a new one as ours is now expired (it was mainly used by his now 11yr old brother).

Susan

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Part of the certification standard pertains to labeling and instructions. So even if the seats are identical in every other respect, because it is labeled for US use, it cannot be considered certified there. However, no one will be looking at the labels. :)

S

simsfreq

The bubble bum existed in Europe before they certified it for the US, so I don't think you'll have a problem - people will probably assume it is a European seat. Anyway in my experience, French police are not particularly concerned with car seats, as long as you are using something. So you should choose what makes you happy. I'm not sure how the vest type options would be seen by police, because we don't have those at all in Europe, so this might attract more suspicion.

If you did prefer to buy something when you arrive, you can pick up a backless booster for €5-10 easily in any major supermarket, of which there will likely be one very near to the airport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC