Side-by-side - Outback & Passat - Configuration question

cmeyerdirk

My wife and I currently have an 18 month old (27 lbs, wearing 2T clothes) and are expecting our 2nd in June. When baby2 is born the 18 month old will be 23 months. I know around that point (24 months) we can turn her around, but I'm not sure if we will or not.

We have a 2016 Outback and a 2014 VW Passat for vehicles. With our first we bought a Britax B-Safe 35 as the carrier/bases and shes now rides rear facing in a Chicco Nextfit Zip. Are we going to be able to put those 2 seats side by side (ideally behind driver and middle) to leave a spot open in the back of the car for an additional passenger. We like this configuration idea especially on longer trips as it would allow one of us to hop in the back as needed.

If they won't fit do you have recommendations for seats that would, ideally utilizing one of the above models to help keep costs down if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi! The B-Safe is a fairly narrow seat, but the problem with all infant seats is where the handle pivot point is. The NextFit is also a fairly narrow seat, but given that you also have fairly narrow vehicles, you may find it difficult to put those seats side-by-side. You may want to try it out to see if they fit without interaction. I'm guessing you'll be able to put them both outboard with a very narrow spot open in the middle, which won't be comfortable for an adult passenger.

The Graco SlimFit is designed to be narrow; it's based on the Milestone but the cupholders swivel in. The Diono Radian seats and the Clek convertibles are also very narrow, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Radians for forward-facing as they can be fussy to install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC