2016 Volvo XC90- 3rd on the way please help!

CAPSM

Hello, sorry for this long post, but my husband and I seem to be at a crossroad with how to proceed. We have a 2016 Volvo XC90, and baby #3 on the way. I need help to figure out what my best options are if we keep our car or if best option to get something else.

We have a 3 year old- 33lbs about 40 inches tall, (will be 4 about 3/4 weeks after baby is born) in a peg perego convertible, our 19 month old in a britax advocate, and the infant will be in a 2014 peg perego primo viaggio 30/30.

As I understand the second row only has latch behind the driver and passenger, and there is no latch in the third row. According to the manual only a booster is recommended for the third row.

I’m not sure if it’s possible for us to get our 3 across in the second row, it seems like it would be tight, but if we reconfigure (like move the toddler to the center and in the britax) would this work? Or is our best option to put our toddler in a 5 point harness booster in the third row? Is this even safe, from what I’ve read the recommendation is to wait to put them in a booster until 4. That would also leave him climbing in and out through the trunk- or is there a way to reconfigure the other two in the second row.

As you can see I’m very confused and I’m hoping that someone maybe has some experience with this car, or an experienced CPST that would graciously help guide me in the right direction, please and thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

You have three tether anchors, one for each middle row seat, so that means that's where your four year old needs to go. You can't use the third row safely for a forward facing harnessed seat. You could try both rear facers in the third row, then fold down the middle or side seat in the second row for ease of access. That'd be an option. Though the Peg is not small front to back for the baby with the handle restriction (also make sure the straps are below the baby's shoulders, the seat tends to not fit small or average newborns well).

Another option is three new seats to put them across the second row, which would give you the third row free to fold down if you'd like.

The recommendation for a booster is not four years old, that's quite outdated. Most kids aren't booster ready until closer to five or six.

Would you care for recommendations for seats for the second row, or would you like to try to move one or two rear facers to the third row instead?

Wendy

CAPSM

Thank you so much for that information and for responding. To clarify, even though there is no latch in the third row, the rear facing can be installed using seat belt only in the third row?

As this is our last child we’re hoping to keep and make use of our current car seats, and not purchase any new ones unless absolutely necessary.

Also, can you please clarify on the booster information. I guess I am getting confused, I thought there were 5 point harnessed booster seats that could be used starting at my son’s weight? Is that not the case?

Thank you again for your help!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thank you so much for that information and for responding. To clarify, even though there is no latch in the third row, the rear facing can be installed using seat belt only in the third row?

Correct.

Also, can you please clarify on the booster information. I guess I am getting confused, I thought there were 5 point harnessed booster seats that could be used starting at my son’s weight? Is that not the case?

Thank you again for your help!

Those are called combination seats. A booster has no harness, and is not safe for a child his age. A combination seat is a completely viable option.

Wendy

CAPSM

Thank you again. I’m not really familiar with combination seats, are those installed with seat belt only (no latch or tether), like boosters? Is the clek oobr a combination or is that only a booster? Do you have any suggestions for a combination seat? Sounds like putting my son in the third row in one may be our best option if they install with belt only.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Oobr is a booster. No harness. A combination seat is a forward facing harness to booster. They use a tether.

Your four year old cannot safely sit in the third row forward facing right now. I’d just remove that thought from your options. If you wanted to rear Face everyone, you could put the older two rear facing in the third row and the baby rear facing in the second.

Wendy

CAPSM

Ok that makes sense, I wasn’t sure if they were belt only, but I understand now. Thanks again for all your help!

CAPSM

Hello again. We ended up getting a 2018 Chevy Tahoe and it seems as though we will be moving our current seats into that and will be needing something new for the Volvo to fit 3 across, as our current seats will not work for that.
My son is 3 yrs 11 mos (he will be 4 in April), Height: 39.25”, Weight: 33lbs currently sitting FF in a Peg Perego convertible (behind the driver). My daughter is 21 mos, Height: 30.5”, Weight: 23.8 lbs currently sitting RF in a Britax advocate clicktight (behind the passenger). And my infant seat for baby is a 2014 Peg Perego primo Viaggio 30/30.
Can you please suggest seats that will work for three across? I was looking for a harnessed booster for my son and a combination for my daughter. What are the slimmest seats you can suggest to work with the Peg Perego infant seat and what configuration do you suggest in the third row? Thank you again for the help!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi again.

Sounds like you want a combination seat for your son (harness to booster) and a convertible for your daughter (rear to forward facing), yes?

What’s your budget?

Wendy

CAPSM

Hello! Yes for my son, harness to booster- looking around $150 or less (but if there is something that you think would be a better option that costs more I am not totally opposed to spending more). For my daughter I was actually thinking a combination convertible to booster for my daughter, not just a convertible, and for that I have no set budget. Thanks! :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok. Combination seats are forward facing only, which is why I was concerned.

For your son I’d look at the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, and cosco Finale. Maybe the Chicco MyFit.

For your younger, there aren’t many narrow rear facing multimode seats. Maybe the Safety 1st Grow and Go/Grow and Go Air/Grow and Go EX Air?

Wendy

CAPSM

Ok that sounds great, thanks!

What do you think of the Graco slim fit for my daughter? If I went with that for my daughter, and the Graco Tranzitions for my son- what do you think the best configuration would be to make them fit with the infant Peg Perego (outboard), which of those two in the middle?

U

Unregistered

We have the same situation/question! How did those seats for the Volvo workout!? Can you specify exact seat configuration? Thanks you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC