Question Convertible vs high back booster

U

Unregistered

My almost 2yo will outgrow RF weight for the ClickTight Boulevard soon (40lbs). I’m considering getting a ClickTight Pinnacle to FF and move his baby sister into the Boulevard. Is there a benefit to keeping him FF in Boulevard as opposed to the Pinnacle? I’d love him rear facing longer, but just don’t see that as an option due to size and weight (he’s 3ft and 37lbs now).

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

First, minor panic. A two year old can't be in a booster. A booster has no harness. The Pinnacle is a combination seat, harness to booster. So that's fine, but my heart did race for a minute!

The Britax Frontier or Pinnacle would work well with their 90 pound limits, though the Britax Pioneer with the 70 pound limit may also work.

There's no safety difference in one forward facing harnessed seat versus another.

However, if you'd like to rear face longer, would you care for recommendations for convertibles with 50 pound rear facing limits?

Wendy

2BunniesMommy

How close to 2 is your almost 2 year old? The Pinnacle has a 2 year age minimum requirement.

With a large almost 2 year old, I would do everything I can to keep my baby rear facing as long as possible, for sure until age two, but longer if I could. There are many seats on the market that will not only allow him to continue to rear face now, but should get him a decent way beyond his 2nd birthday, some more, some less than what you'd pay for a Pinnacle. The Pinnacle is a wonderful seat, for later. I personally prefer the Frontier, for space reasons, if you do get a seat that will keep him rear facing longer but need a high weight, tall, forward facing seat before he is booster.

If open to suggestions on rear facing seats that would work, please post back and let us know. If you want to keep it within a certain budget please include that info as well. Also, still wondering what month his birthday is, since I've seen "almost x age" mean anywhere from next week to 6 months from now.

U

Unregistered

Sorry about the booster confusion! I would love to keep him rear facing as long as possible, but I’m not sure the 10lbs would last very long. He’ll be two March 14th. He has been gaining 1-1.5lbs a month, but I’m sure that slows down a little, the older he gets. I am open to other seat options, but can’t afford more than the Britax.

lgenne

The Pinnacle would be a reasonable choice; a Graco Extend2Fit would be WAY cheaper, would likely let you rear face him to 4. (My oldest was that size at that age, with a super long torso. I first came here in a panic thinking I’d have to booster him by 3. He hit 50 pounds around age 5.5.)

If you want to spend a little more, the 3-in-1 version of the Extend2Fit is a little more versatile and has some nice features. Still cheaper than the Pinnacle.

U

Unregistered

Do you know if the extend to fit RF with the foot rest extended takes up more room behind the front seat than the boulevard ClickTight? We’re barely fitting RF with the boulevard in the most upright mode. My husband is 6’7 and I’m 5’11 so we do need a little extra space. The majority of the time it is just me I the car, but the infant is in the other seat (reclined
RF), so the boulevard is behind me. I have a Subaru Outback.

MelodyoftheForest

I would assume the E2F with the extension panel out would take up more space, yes. If I remember correctly, the panel doesn't have to be more than one click out with a child over 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC