Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Graco Contender On Sun Country?

Iím flying with my 4yo for the first time with her Contender on Sun Country. Will it fit? My other flying seats have been outgrown or recycled due to expiration. And I have never flown Sun Country with Kids.

Thanks,
    Mama bear to 4 now

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Graco Contender On Sun Country?

They appear to fly 737s. The pitch may be short but it should fit, especially if you forward-face.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

I should have stated she is FF now. I also have a My Ride at my disposal if that would work better...

My tickets say it is a Boeing 737-700. I will buy something else if necessary because I do NOT want a checked/damaged car seat/fight. We need a vacation, not an extra headache! Contendor, My Ride or something else?

Appreciative,
    Mama bear to 4 now

It should fit (Contender more than MyRide)but if you want to maximize space next to the seat and leg room, there are other seats that may give you more space. Weight and height?
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Ketchupqueen,
    1. She is 35#, 41Ē standing height and 22.5ish sitting height (floor to top of head). It will be used for this flight, once per week in a 2011 Odyssey and probably another flight next year. She is FF.

2. My daughter just turned 4.5. At what age do the airlines tell you you canít use a car seat?

I thought the Contender was my last car seat purchase. I liked the lack of latchplate in the back. But I will take the latch plate issue if something else will for sure work & provide more space...

Thank you!!!

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mamabearof3 View Post
    Ketchupqueen,
    2. My daughter just turned 4.5. At what age do the airlines tell you you can’t use a car seat?
    My youngest is about the same size. We flew a couple of months ago when she was 4y10m. No one batted an eye when we brought her car seat on board. (This was on American, not Sun Country, though.)
    DD1: 12.7, 65 lbs and 56 in, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 8.8 50 lbs and 49 in, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 5.0, 35 lbs and 42 in, ffing RA50

You could look at a Maestro for a cheap lightweight travel seat. It would give a bit more room and could be a backup for several years to come.

On all US-based airlines, there is no age limit for a carseat. FAA rules require they allow you to use any FAA-approved seat you bring on board as long as your child fits and it can be properly installed regardless of age. I've put a 6 year old in a carseat on a flight; the only question was "is it for a ticketed child?"

Carseat Crazy

Picked up a Maestro. Should I wait until our return to install the cup holders? Will the tray table work if we donít have them in?

Thank you SO much!!!

You cannot use the seat without either cupholders or plugs (which you can order on Evenflo's site if you don't want to put the cupholders in.) Once you put one or the other in they are in for good. The tray may not lie completely flat but should be almost flat and useable.

Carseat Crazy

Ketchupqueen, Thank you SO much! To clarify, the tray may work some with the cup holders or with the plugs?

It may work some with the cupholders. I have no idea if using the plugs would make any difference.

Carseat Crazy

Thank you ketchupqueen💗💗💗