Question Retrofitting Tether in '98 Lexus ES#300 Frustration

U

Unregistered

Hello and thank you for any advice you can offer in advance.

My very tall 3 yr old is needing to go from her convertible Chicco NextFit Zip to a harness/booster. I am more than likely about to purchase the Chicco MyFit LE Harness that just came out. The problem is that I know these taller seats require a top tether, but my 1998 Lexus ES300 does not have one.

After some research online, I even found the part number for a top tether and went to my local Lexus dealership. They said that part is not associated with my VIN number and they will not install it and do not know how. They have never even heard of such a thing. They took a look at my car above the back seat and apparently it is plastic and there is not really metal back there to bolt it to and no pre-drilled holes either like other cars may have.

I am worried because we have no other car and she is needing this "big girl" seat and most of all to be safe! I have seen that a top tether will keep her head from going forward and I am really stuck here on what to do.

I appreciate anything anyone can suggest or help to soothe my anxious mind. Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

ALL forward facing seats need a top tether, not just bigger ones. So you're right to be getting this done. Any chance she fits rear facing? I know it's slim if you have the headrest all the way up and she's still got her shoulders going over the top harness height, but if you could rear face her until you got a tether, that'd be awesome.

Go to carseat.org and find at the bottom the Toyota/Lexus tether retrofit program. Print out the application and take that with you.

Did you find part number 73709-12010, "Bracket Sub Assembly"? That's the part number they'll use.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you for replying to me! Yes I even showed the Lexus part manager and service guys the website (which the program is from 2008 - ten years old now), certificate, and part number and they had no idea what I was talking about and they looked up the part on their side of things and said there is not a way to put a top tether in my car.

My little one is too tall to rear face anymore and has outgrown the NextFit Zip so that is why I have such a dilemma. I am going to have to get her this other seat, but it does not seem there is a way to top tether and Lexus is no help :( I feel stuck and just want my daughter to be safe

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd call more dealerships. They're definitely still available. :) carseat.org would have removed the application if it was not (and you have an in, in that I maintain that website, so I'm very aware it's still there and was renewed very recently).

Otherwise, there are taller rear facing seats that can rear face kids under 49" to 50 pounds, that may be an option.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you very much! I will try Toyota instead - I think they are similar :) I appreciate your assistance and speedy response

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC