Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

In need of quick advice for AWD/4WD vehicle for family of 6

We have a Ford Expedition EL XLT but long story short we are not happy with it and want to trade it in - like, today.

Our kids are 12.5 (no booster etc.), 8 (booster), 5 (clek flo), and almost 2 (chicco nextfit zip rear facing).

We need AWD/4WD for sure, as much cargo space as possible, all leather seats.

I drive a lot in the city, also very snowy mountain conditions (SLC), and we do take a few road trips a year. Safety is my #1 concern, and then functionality for a larger family with lots of 'stuff'.

We looked at a Toyota Sequoia and HIghlander but the Highlander was way too small in the cargo and 3rd row, and the Sequoia had surprisingly little cargo space for the price - I think a lot of their space goes to larger 3rd and 2nd rows?

The cars we are looking at - frantically - are:
    Honda Pilot 2018 (but we already have a 2010)
    Toyota Sienna AWD 2018 - think this is the XLE version)

We could look at the following, but it's going to cost us $10K or more more $$, and I'm partial to Honda/Toyota type cars:
    Chevy Suburban
    GMC Yukon XL (but this is very similar to Ford Expedition EL no?)

Any advice? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: In need of quick advice for AWD/4WD vehicle for family of 6

You might want to check out the Nissan Pathfinder also. We have a 2015 (only got it a year ago) and have been very happy with the amount of room and how it handles in the snow (we're in Colorado so snowy mountain driving for skiing, etc). It will not be as roomy as the largest 4wd vehicles, but there is enough adjustablity that it may work for you. We test drove an Acura MDX (2010 ish model I think) when we were looking and the Pathfinder definitely had more room than the MDX. Having a 2nd row that was adjustable (could slide forward/backward) was one of the main things I wanted since we only have two kids - gives them more room when it's just the two of them in the second row, but able to give the 3rd row more leg room if it's in use.

Another you could look at is the Traverse/Acadia. We had a Saturn Outlook which was a twin vehicle. It definitely had more room than the Pathfinder. Ours was only FWD and did terrible in the snow, I see a lot of the AWD versions around so I'm guessing they do much better.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Carseat Crazy

Space wise I don't think you'll be happy with a Pilot, Pathfinder, Traverse/Acadia. Your best bet is the Sienna or a long wheel base Suburban or Yukon. I would personally probably go for the Sienna, like you I'm more of an import girl. I don't think I could stomach the price of a Suburban/Yukon.

What's wrong with the Expedition?
    Katherine mommy to Emma 5/06 (2 Big Kids) and Ellie 6/10 (Zebra FR90 and FF TF)

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by grandisp View Post
    We have a Ford Expedition EL XLT but long story short we are not happy with it and want to trade it in - like, today.

Our kids are 12.5 (no booster etc.), 8 (booster), 5 (clek flo), and almost 2 (chicco nextfit zip rear facing).

We need AWD/4WD for sure, as much cargo space as possible, all leather seats.

I drive a lot in the city, also very snowy mountain conditions (SLC), and we do take a few road trips a year. Safety is my #1 concern, and then functionality for a larger family with lots of 'stuff'.

We looked at a Toyota Sequoia and HIghlander but the Highlander was way too small in the cargo and 3rd row, and the Sequoia had surprisingly little cargo space for the price - I think a lot of their space goes to larger 3rd and 2nd rows?

The cars we are looking at - frantically - are:
    Honda Pilot 2018 (but we already have a 2010)
    Toyota Sienna AWD 2018 - think this is the XLE version)

We could look at the following, but it's going to cost us $10K or more more $$, and I'm partial to Honda/Toyota type cars:
    Chevy Suburban
    GMC Yukon XL (but this is very similar to Ford Expedition EL no?)

Any advice? Thanks!
    We just bought a 2018 Chevy Traverse that has a third row, seats 7 total with lots of cargo space.
    Amie
    Wife to Jeremy, Mommy to Chaeli, 10 (9/27/07) boostered roughly 4, 9” inches and 92 pounds) riding in an Evenflo Spectrum in a ‘18 Chevrolet Traverse & a Britax Frontier 90 in a '17 Chevrolet Equinox