2018 Expedition/ Navigator

JDQ4

I test drove the 2018 Expedition the other day, which is very nice and my 2 rearfacing carseats installed easily and with tons of room for the front seat riders. There is one thing parents with rearfacing kids need to be aware of. On the door frame there is a button on most of the trim levels to unlatch the car's seat from the floor to be able to tip it forward and slide it to easily access the third row. It's shown in the ads as the power tip and slide seats which make it easy to get in the back, even with a carseat (forward facing) installed in that seat. BUT...my rearfacing three year old discovered the button and pressed it with his foot popping the seat up and detatching it's rear latches from the floor enabling the car's seat to move. An extremely dangerous thing if a child does this and the parent doesn't notice. They are then basically unsecured in an accident. The dealership is checking into this problem and seeing if there is a way to disable the button, but I wanted to make parents aware of this danger in new vehicles. It hadn't occurred to me that this could happen until I saw my son do it. I don't know how many types of vehicles have these buttons that kids can reach. In this new world of automatic everything we as parents are going to have to look at cars with an eye for every feature that could be in the sphere of reach by a child with hands or feet!

ADS

JDQ4

One note, I was not driving at the time when he pushed the button so I do not know if the button works while the car is moving. But, with other kids to load in the car, putting my stroller in the back and all the other things parents have to do after they load their child and before they put a car into drive there is plenty of opportunity for a kiddo to press buttons.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC