Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which seats for travel?

We are planning a vacation which will be our kids first trip on an airplane so I have no idea what to do about seats. My oldest just turned 8 and our youngest just turned 5. Iím not sure if I should look for seats that will be used eventually back at home or just look for what works for the trip. We donít have a backless booster so we will need one eventually. The seats will be for the plane and rental car.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Which seats for travel?

What seats do you have and how big (weight/height) are your kids?

I would use a backless booster for the 8yo, you can't use it on the plane because it can't be used with only a lap belt. We always just carried it on and stowed it under the seat or overhead.

Suggestions for the 5yo will probably depend on what seats you currently have. If his normal seat is lightweight I wouldn't bother getting a different seat for the trip. How much driving will you be doing on the trip and how much time before you take the trip? Depending on the maturity of the 5yo and sleeping potential a backless booster might work also.

My favorite backless is the Harmony Youth booster, it's about $15 at Walmart.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Re: Which seats for travel?

My 8 year old is about 50 in. and 58 lbs and is currently in the Britax Frontier. The 5 year old is in a Recaro Sport and she is about 49 lbs. I’m not as sure of her height but she’s somewhere between 42-46 in. I think. We would be doing a lot of driving. A few day trips so a few hours in the car. Neither of them ever sleep in the car. I would like to bring something that might be easier to travel with. We would be leaving in a couple of months so I have time to buy seats. Any recommendations? Thank you so much!