Question Car seat alternative for a 2 year old?

U

Unregistered

I am travelling to India with a 2 and 3 year old. We will be travelling mostly by train, but we will travel by car sometimes also. There is no possible way I can handle 2 toddlers, all the luggage, AND a car seat on the trains, so I will not be bringing my 2 year old's car seat with us. The 3 year old will use an approved travel booster seat. People in India don't use car seats, so they won't think anything of it, but I of course feel very uncomfortable about it. I have not found any car seat alternatives for my 2 year old. She is about 35 inches, 25 pounds. I know about the RideSafer but it has a 3 year, 30 pound minimum. But I might go ahead and get one since I figure it is better than nothing. Or are there any other suggestions for alternatives that may not be ideal, but are better than nothing? And please, no need to advise me to take the car seat, or don't ride in cars... it's not possible. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sorry, a booster is not safe for your three year old, and there's no alternative that will make your two year old safe. Since you don't want to hear the one option of carseats, I'm not sure what else to tell you. I have taken my seats on trains before, and then used them in my cars. I stack them on a folding luggage cart so they're easy to move around, carry/wear the baby, and the older walks. You're not kidding that it's a pain in the butt (especially in Asian where the sidewalks weren't smooth). But since it kept my kids safe, I figured it was a nice alternative than the potential outcome of not bringing appropriate restraints.

Wendy

MelodyoftheForest

Why not get a travel vest for the 3-year-old? What booster did you get to use for that child? We might be able to help you find something you can handle for the 2-year-old that isn't significantly bulkier than a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC