Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Neck pain while riding in car seat

Hello,

I'm hoping the experienced people in this forum can help me with a problem we've been having for several months: every time we're in the car for more than 15 minutes or so, my 5-year-old says that her neck hurts. I've tried supporting her neck with travel pillows, and also those cushions you velcro onto the harness straps, but so far we've had no improvement.

My daughter is 5.5 years old, about 42 inches tall, 40 pounds, and rides forward-facing in a Diono Radian. The Radian is supposed to last us through her booster years (it was manufactured in 2013), and so I wasn't planning to replace it. On the other hand, the Radian is huge and heavy, and if I thought it would help this problem we're having, I wouldn't mind getting a new seat, maybe a light one that's just a high-back booster. But I know that kids should stay in the harness as long as possible, and with a 65-pound limit, she's likely to be within that limit until she's nine! We need to solve this problem sooner than four years from now!

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Cheers,
    Juli

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Neck pain while riding in car seat

Which radian does she have? One with wings or one without wings?

CCO 4/15

I guess it has wings— the ones that are on either side of the kid’s head? Yes. We have the RXT, I believe. Should I push the wings in closer to her head?

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Is she possibly leaning forward (thus straining her neck) to see around the wings? That might cause neck pain.
    DD1: 12.7, 65 lbs and 56 in, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 8.8 50 lbs and 49 in, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 5.0, 35 lbs and 42 in, ffing RA50

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

How close are her shoulders to the wings? If they are close, it’s possible she’s outgrowing it and the wings are pushing on her shoulders, causing neck strain.

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

The wings on one of my Radians had a bad habit of sliding down, so I would have to check them weekly at least to push them back up where they belonged.

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Many 5 and a half year olds are booster-ready, so if she IS outgrowing the seat I might try a booster and see if she's ready. There's no evidence that a 5 year old who can sit properly and fits a booster well is less safe than in a harness. Otherwise, there are cheap seats with taller harnesses that might buy you time. My kids had all outgrown the Radian by that age.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Thanks, everyone! Some more info: the wings on either side of her head are quite a bit above her shoulders, so I don't think they're pressing on her. I also don't think she's straining her neck to see, because the pain has been such a problem that she'd do anything to avoid it. So when I tell her to try to just lean back and relax in her seat, she does. I think if this were a problem she could fix by changing her behavior, she would!

But now I'm wondering: since the Radian RXT can also be used as a booster, it can't hurt to try using it that way, right? Although I guess it isn't likely to help.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

She doesn't meet the minimums to use that seat as a booster, and I wouldn't recommend it in most cases anyway- it can be hard to use properly in booster mode due to the way slack often catches in the belt guide, even if fit is good (it often isn't.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!