Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Flying With Carseats

I Need help with car seats and airplanes. We will be flying this summer and I am not sure the best seats to bring on the plane. My daughter will be 6 yrs 4 months when we go (currently in a 5 point harness) and my son will be a couple weeks shy of his 4th birthday (currently rear facing but at that point I would feel comfortable switching him). We have a britax pioneer, 2 britax marathon g3, a Graco headwise, and a britax advocate click tight. They are all pretty heavy so I am thinking about whether I need to look into new seats. If I use what we have I am thinking taking 2 marathons as long as my daughter doesn't exceed the height limit or one marathon and the pioneer are my best options, but I am concerned about them fitting well on the plane as they are pretty wide seats Has anyone taken these on a plane? Should I consider a booster for my daughter (for use when we arrive not on the plane), by concern with this is we will probably be on a red eye and she may sleep better in a car seat??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Flying With Carseats

I would probably want a car seat for the older one to sleep in, too. Is there another adult flying with the 3 of you? Most seats have armrests that fold up and make installing a seat easier, especially if one adult is next to each child. You may want to look into a couple Cosco Finales. They are lightweight forward-facing only seats that should accommodate your kids at those ages unless they are unusually heavy or tall.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Unregistered

Thanks. My daughter is currently 48 pounds and 45 inches so I think she would be ok in a finale unless she had a major growth spurt in the next 6 months. I was just looking at them online today as I wondered if that was my best bet. I will have another adult with me, however if the planes have 3 across seats we Will probably want to put carseat, carseat, adult all in one row if possible.

Carseat Crazy

At that size, she should be big enough to use the plane's seat belt. If you think you can find a way for her to sleep with just a lap belt, you might be able to just bring a backless booster for her and a Finale for the younger child. Since you have some time to work on sitting in a booster safely, that would be an option I would consider if she has the maturity to sit still for the amount of time you will be in a car.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag