Flying With Carseats

U

Unregistered

I Need help with car seats and airplanes. We will be flying this summer and I am not sure the best seats to bring on the plane. My daughter will be 6 yrs 4 months when we go (currently in a 5 point harness) and my son will be a couple weeks shy of his 4th birthday (currently rear facing but at that point I would feel comfortable switching him). We have a britax pioneer, 2 britax marathon g3, a Graco headwise, and a britax advocate click tight. They are all pretty heavy so I am thinking about whether I need to look into new seats. If I use what we have I am thinking taking 2 marathons as long as my daughter doesn't exceed the height limit or one marathon and the pioneer are my best options, but I am concerned about them fitting well on the plane as they are pretty wide seats Has anyone taken these on a plane? Should I consider a booster for my daughter (for use when we arrive not on the plane), by concern with this is we will probably be on a red eye and she may sleep better in a car seat??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I would probably want a car seat for the older one to sleep in, too. Is there another adult flying with the 3 of you? Most seats have armrests that fold up and make installing a seat easier, especially if one adult is next to each child. You may want to look into a couple Cosco Finales. They are lightweight forward-facing only seats that should accommodate your kids at those ages unless they are unusually heavy or tall.

U

Unregistered

Thanks. My daughter is currently 48 pounds and 45 inches so I think she would be ok in a finale unless she had a major growth spurt in the next 6 months. I was just looking at them online today as I wondered if that was my best bet. I will have another adult with me, however if the planes have 3 across seats we Will probably want to put carseat, carseat, adult all in one row if possible.

MelodyoftheForest

At that size, she should be big enough to use the plane's seat belt. If you think you can find a way for her to sleep with just a lap belt, you might be able to just bring a backless booster for her and a Finale for the younger child. Since you have some time to work on sitting in a booster safely, that would be an option I would consider if she has the maturity to sit still for the amount of time you will be in a car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC