Question about Diono 2017 recall

U

Unregistered

So I have a diono radian that was affected by the 2017 recall. I have it currently lap belt only in a 2002 explorer. I received the recall kit-a cushion and two chest clips. I have installed the pad. However, the chest clips they sent are very flimsy compared to what is currently on there. Are they necessary to put on? I have my 7 1/2 year old in this seat, he is 50 lbs.

I noticed that the recall said if I was using a top tether I didn't need to use the kit-how do I know if my car has a top tether and how do I use it??

Thank you for any advice!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

You should change out the chest clip, yes. It's made by a company called IMMI and is used by many other carseat companies. It's not as bulky, yes, but it does its job quite well, and has for a long time.

You should always tether forward facing carseats. Your car's manual has that info, and Ford has them online if you don't have it. So I'd google your manual and see where it is so you can definitely use it.

Your child's ears are below the top of the shell? Is anyone else in the car? It may also be easier to just move your 7.5 year old to a booster on the sides.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Yes his ears are below the shell. I would have him outboard but I have two teens that use those seats and can't use the lap belt only

I will change out the clip and look for info on the top tether. I think I may have found 2 they are on the floor in the back?? But I have no clue how to use them

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not so easy to post picture here, but the information is all in your car and carseat manuals. They don't try to make a secret of it. :) You'll use the top tether strap at the top-ish back of the Radian (it's about 1/4 of the way down from the top, in a Y shape) and attach it to the designated tether anchor, NOT a cargo hook.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I can't tell if these are cargo hooks or tethers I'm looking at. They are u shaped there are two in the way rear and two that are like 2 ft into the cargo area.

U

Unregistered

It says they are located behind the second row, so I must be looking at the cargo hooks. I think I will need to get a flashlight or something because for some reason I'm just not seeing them

U

Unregistered

I think i located the hooks-there are four total in the back, two are U shaped and two are square shaped. I'm guessing the U shaped ones are the ones I want. Although the manual says all 4 are for car seats? Anyway I think I have bigger issues because once I put my child in the seat with the pad on, his ears are def above the shell. 😥 So now I know he has to be outboard and boostered. Which bugs me because my older two rode in a nautilus until age 8-8 1/2. So the radian must be smaller somehow cause this is my smallest kid at this age😆. Is the turbo booster still the smallest, cheapest seat recommended??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC