Question Seating of 4 children in car seats/boosters in Dodge grand caravan

U

Unregistered

Hi
I am trying to find the best seating arrangement for 5 children in a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. We are in Canada. I would like to fit 3 seats in the 3rd row if safe to do so. My children are 13 no car seat required, 5.5 yrs (tall and approx. 53 lbs), 3 turning 4 in March(tall and approx 40-45 lbs), 2yrs (tall and approx 35 lbs) and 4 months (tall and approximately 16-17lbs). We have 2 evenflo maestros purchased at different times not sure if they are the same, an older safety 1st alpha omega and the baby is in a Graco snugride click connect 35. With the 2 maestros in the back there is basically no room for a 3rd person. We are considering purchasing the Diono brand seats to try get 3 in the 3rd row but unsure cause there is only 1 latch back there. Can you suggest seats and seating arrangement please?

ADS

lgenne

Hi and welcome!

You’re legally required to tether harnessed forward facing seats, so you can’t put 2 Maestros back there.

To make it work, I think you’ll need the 13 year old in the center 3rd row. Then you need some combination of the 5.5 year old, the 2 year old, and the infant in the outboard seats. The only car seat you have listed that might work is the Snugride. You could try it both with the base and baseless. Watch for side overhang, which is not allowed.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll need 2 new car seats; if it does, you can get away with just one new one.

For the 5 year old, I would get an Evenflo Amp. It’s a belt positioning high back booster, so no tether required. That particular booster works well with the outboard seat belts in the 3rd row, while most others don’t.

For the 2 year old (and in the future, the baby, if this is a long term thing) I’d get a Cosco Scenera NEXT to use rear facing—again, no tether anchor needed. It has to be installed very upright to fit behind the captain’s chair in front of it, which is allowed for children who can sit independently, so presumably not the baby yet.

Then the 3 year old and whichever other kid isn’t in the back go in captain’s chairs in whatever car seats you prefer for them. (The captain’s chairs are pretty easy to install car seats in.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC