Question Weight limit, and decision to go from car seat to booster

papa smurf

Hi everyone, you were very helpful on my last round of questions few years ago and now my son is about to (or already has) outgrown his car seat and I want to make a decision if I should move to booster or stay with car seat.

My 7 year old son is 59lbs, ~49 inches.
Our current car seat is Marathon 70.

The reason I liked this car seat was the 70lbs limit, which meant we could use it until he is 8 or 9 with convenience of latch.
But, from what I read recently, I learned that latch has weight limit of about 60-70lbs, including the car seat, and I believe Marathon 70 is about 20lbs, this means it is no longer safe to use Latch.

While people claim seat belts are safer, I am not really comfortable with the loose feel of seat belt, I believe the car seat should have some kind of clamps but I didn't see them, that means the car seat will move around when the child is on it?

That's why I was thinking of upgrading to booster, using the latch to secure the booster to the seat, but use seatbelts for my son on the booster, but I don't know if 49" will be enough to prevent the edge of belt from scraping his neck.

What are your suggestions?
Edit: The Marathon 70 was manufactured in October 2011, started using in November 2011, I can't tell if it expired or has another year based on this:
Infant car seats have a service life of 6 years.
Convertible car seats (excluding the Classic line) have a service life of 7 years.
ClickTight Convertible car seats have a service life of 10 years.
Harness-2-Booster seats have a service life of 9 years.
Belt-Positioning Booster seats have a service life of 6 years.
Thanks.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Your manual says seven years for the expiration. So that's ok.

But, that's about it. Your manual also states the straps must be above your child's shoulders, the lower anchor weight limit was 40 pounds, you have lockoffs ("clamps") to use on the seatbelt when you install with the seatbelt, and the height limit is 49" even if the shoulders are below the highest harness height.

So likely the seat was outgrown a couple of years ago, and you need to switch to a seatbelt with lockoff and top tether install probably two or three years ago as well. I'm SO VERY HAPPY nothing has happened that has caused injury to your child.

Switching to a booster would be fine. Using lower anchors to keep it from being a projectile when your child isn't using it is great. But please, you're not using your Marathon properly and it's likely outgrown. I would sit down with your manual, review everything, look at your child in the seat, double check your install, and then probably buy a booster before your child rides in the car again. When you get that, again, sit down with the booster, check your child in the seat, and see how it all looks. And we are always here to help with questions.

Wendy

papa smurf

Thanks, but even you said limit is 49" (standing height) and he just turned 49", he could be about 48" actually.
The height limit seems to be OK, weight is OK as well, I believe the only problem I have now is still using the LATCH.

If I switch to Seatbelt set up, he is within height and weight limit of the seat, but with only 1" to go, I believe I'll just go and grab him a booster.

Could you please help me with one thing. Is there any difference between boosters without back and the ones with back? Ideally, I'd like to go with the ones without the back, since that will allow me to recline his seat, also easier to transport when we travel, it looks like there are also ones that can be taken apart, like this

https://www.costco.com/Evenflo-RightFit-Booster-Car-Seat,-Capri.product.100280417.html

Thanks again for your help, I'll definitely get a booster immediately, I am sure he will also like using car seatbelt.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
His shoulders are below the top harness height? Or do the straps come up and over his shoulders? The limits for your seat are 70 pounds, shoulders over the highest harness height, tops of the ears over the top of the shell (not headrest), or 49". If any of those are hit, the seat is outgrown.

A high back booster will adjust the shoulder belt, help him learn to sit properly on his own and have shell around him to remind him to hold still, and give him someplace to rest his head when he's tired. Most kids do better with a high back when they move out to a booster.

You shouldn't recline his seat when you're in the car. He could slip out from under the belt. Same for adults.

Wendy

papa smurf

Thanks so much Wendy.
I checked his shoulders, it is well below the top harness height since the back of the Marathon 70 slides up, same for his head, backrest/headrest, it's well above his head while he is seated. I was going to take a picture of him earlier today but I didn't want to mess around in 20 degree weather, but at a glance, it looked like his shoulders are still below the highest harness height.
In all cases, we were planning to get a booster anyway, so I will go ahead and start reviewing/researching boosters and will just get one.

You are right about reclining, but I was referring to making it a bit more reclined than it currently is in order to allow him to sleep comfortably because in current position his head was always falling to the side, I think our seat may have been too upright. Also I understand it's easier to slip out from under a belt since it's not a 5 point harness in booster anymore, and I don't know they can't come up with a better solution for kids than a regular 3 point belt. I always worry about possible damage to kids necks since the seatbelts look like they are resting on kids necks and not across their body like adults, but I suppose a proper booster helps resolve this by helping route the belts through openings/guides, unlike backless ones.

Are you happy with the KidFit Zip Air? Any complaints? It looks really nice.

Our car seat still has another year to it's shelf life, so we'll donate it to someone and remind them to use it no more than 1 year.
Thanks again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My daughter likes it. I don't know that it's her favorite or least favorite, it's just one of the boosters in our arsenal we use and she's fine with it.

Wendy

papa smurf

Do you know what's the red plastic piece in this picture of this back-less booster?

91uiZhj3wfL._SL1500_.jpg

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's to hold the shoulder belt in place. It may or may not be needed depending on the fit of the seat belt on the child. TBH, it's been a while since I've read a backless booster manual to see if they're mandating their use now. If your son is still falling asleep in the car, though, you do NOT want to get a backless booster. Since there's no side support, he'll fall over sideways and out of the seat belt.

papa smurf

Thanks, I just checked a few backless boosters, and yes, it looks like a belt extension that makes it tight so the shoulder portion has some tension, and keeps it away from neck.

My son doesn't like sleeping much, so unless it's really really late, he doesn't fall a sleep, but since we plan to take some long trips this spring/summer, I think I am going to go with a booster that has removable high-back. This way we can remove the high back and take the base with us when we travel by plane (so we can use booster where we rent a car) but keep the high-back attached both for comfort and safety.

I really loved the kid fit zip air because of the leg support (instead of dangling down, it has dentist-chair like leg rest) but I cannot find it in stores anywhere. I checked today, even buybuybaby has limited number of high back boosters. I'll try to visit Babysrus/toysrus stores as well as Walmarts to see if I can find similar chairs.

There are few that have drawer type of storage, which is really nice but I am not sure if those are taking away from comfort. The collapsible cup holders are nice touch, and there are some that has even little storage boxes for things like pens/crayons etc.

I know Wendy mentioned not to recline, but I see there are boosters with center clip which makes it a 4 point instead of 3, and allows reclining safely, not completely sleeping but a little bit of recline to keep child comfortable if he decides to sleep a bit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2VQZ1Q

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not that it allows reclining, more that it has recline for installation purposes to fit better to the car. If you recline a seat not only does the child face the likelihood of submarining, but the shoulder belt won't be on their body like it should, just like if an adult reclines (that's for when the car is stopped and you're resting, not for using in the car while it's moving).

You're thinking of the Britax Parkway SGL, that's the only one with the SecureGuard.

Wendy

papa smurf

It's not that it allows reclining, more that it has recline for installation purposes to fit better to the car. If you recline a seat not only does the child face the likelihood of submarining, but the shoulder belt won't be on their body like it should, just like if an adult reclines (that's for when the car is stopped and you're resting, not for using in the car while it's moving).

You're thinking of the Britax Parkway SGL, that's the only one with the SecureGuard.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I get what you mean now. I didn't mean reclining all the way, I mean just tilting the seat back just enough so that his head does not fall to the front or side, instead he can rest his head back more easily. It's barely few degrees, plus our 2nd row don't recline like front seats. With some seats, this is not possible if the highback (removable or not) is fixed, but with others (I think zip fit also can go back a little) it's possible.

Murphy,
Thanks! I noticed that checking online, but the stores keep terribly small amount of full size boosters on shelves, 2 TRUs I went didn't have it, so I will have to drive a bit farther to BRU store instead. I really really like the way it looks, I am almost decided, unless I see something else that looks better. There are bunch of boosters at Target for $30-$60 range, so why pay $150 for KidFit Zip Air, I bet those cheaper ones have hardwood like seats, I've seen some with almost no padding.. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC