Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Lightweight car seat with fast install for ERF almost 3 year old?

My almost 3 year old has outgrown the Scenera Next that we use for his babysitter’s car and for travel. I’m looking for a convertible car seat that’s a fast install, lightweight (the babysitter often drops off the car seat with my son at daycare, and good for rear-facing until age 4. One that can be used forward facing on the plane would be a plus. Any recommendations?

Both the babysitter and I drive a Toyota Prius.

Our primary car seat is a Graco Extend2Fit which is heavier, bulkier and takes just a little too long to install to be practical for travel and weekday morning pickups.

Thanks for any recommendations you can give!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Lightweight car seat with fast install for ERF almost 3 year old?

Well as soon as I started reading your post I thought "ooo the Extend2Fit would be perfect for that."

Britax Clicktight convertibles might work, if you don't expect your child to be 40 lbs before age 4. What is his height/weight now? Long or average torso?

I don't know anything about your car, but if you expect him to stay below LATCH limits, you may have more options for quick installs.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

CPS Fanatic

The ClickTights are awfully heavy, too.

I’d look at a Graco Contender. Also assuming kiddo will stay under 40 lbs.

Thanks! Graco Contender is almost 15 lbs, only 3 lbs less that the Extend2Fit.

I was looking at the Evenflo SureRide—it’s under 10 lbs which is appealing, but I’m not sure how long it would be good for rear-facing. My kid is 50th percentile for height and weight but a longish torso and big headed. His sitting height is basically the height of the Scenera Next shell (24”).

CPS Fanatic

The Sureride has a pretty tall shell and a 40” standing height limit. The Scenera NEXT also has a 40” limit, but a much shorter shell.

Depending on your child’s current height, it might rear face quite a while.