Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

5pt or booster for 8yo? Recommendations please.

Hi everyone.
    Id like combination seat or high back booster recommendations for my newly turned 8 year old. His shoulders just started touching the head-wings on his Diono RXT. He also started complaining on how uncomfortable his seat now feels.

His stats:
    49.5 height
    17 torso
    53 lbs.
    open budget
    One other rider(6 yo, middle seat)

He rides in a middle row captain seat on a 2011 Dodge Caravan. I know its probably okay to switch him to a HBB but is there a 5 pt he can still use for another year or so before going to a HBB? Id like for him to be harnessed as long as possible. No reason in particular. Hes mature enough to sit in a HBB but we go on long road trips 2-3 times a year and my son tends to fall asleep on shorter trips. Will he be safer harnessed? He really wants to be in a HBB. Im just not sure what to do.

Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 5pt or booster for 8yo? Recommendations please.

I would booster him. He is getting to the age where being in a harness is going to be embarrassing to him. If he is mature enough (he's definitely large enough) and will sit properly, a booster is just as safe as a harnessed seat.

Re: 5pt or booster for 8yo? Recommendations please.

I think Im going to go with the Britax
    Clicktight. Id like to have him harnessed on roadtrips and booster mode for daily use.