Booster recs.

brooksfamily

Meant to ask this in my other post and somehow I forgot to actually ask for recommendations. Info. below...

DD will be 5 in Jan. She's always been a peanut (7th percentile). Currently she's 37/38 ish pounds. She wears a 4t in both pants and shirts. She still fits in all her seats harnessed. I'd like to begin booster training her this spring/summer. Our family cars are a 2011 Honda Pilot and a 2012 Subaru Outback. In the Pilot she is currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier, and in the Subaru she's still in a convertible. We do have a Graco Tranzitions in the sitters car. Currently, we own what feels like 1 million convertibles. I'm hoping that next fall she will at least be ready to do short trips in the booster. This way if she is getting picked up by a grandma or the sitter (which will be much less frequent because she will be in K at the school I work at) she can just use a booster. I don't think staying in position for short trips will be an issue for her.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would suggest a dedicated high back booster with a 30 or 33 lb. limit. The combination seats tend to not be as great for smaller booster riders. Do you have a budget?

brooksfamily

Yes, definitely want a dedicated booster. Currently, she is our only child, so I plan to leave her Frontier, and her convertible installed in both our cars, and then have a booster on the other side of the back seats. I'm not super concerned about budget. My main concern is something that fits and supports her well. I think I'd like deeper head wings, because if she does fall asleep (which isn't very often) her head leans a little bit to the side.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok. In that case you may like the Cybex Solution X-fix, M-fix or Q2-fix, all of which are "huggy" and which have a reclining headrest for sleep; the Kiddy Cruiser 3 which is very adjustable for smaller kids to bigger kids; or the Graco TurboBooster or Affix Safety Surround models. All have nicely positioned head wings for sleep support, a good fit on small riders, and a lower minimum weight of 30 or 33 lbs.

There are some drawbacks to each; the Cybex and Kiddy will not convert to backless mode. The Cybex and Graco are short in comparison to many boosters on the market in high back mode. The Cybex and the Turbobooster (not Affix) must be buckled in every time your child leaves the seat. But they each have unique benefits as well; the Gracos convert to backless. The Kiddy is about the tallest on the market and has an extending leg support panel. The Cybex have that reclining headrest.

brooksfamily

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm not too concerned about a booster being super tall, because she isn't super tall. I'd definitely prefer something that latches, at least in my car. Of course DD will want something "pretty" aka...pink or purple, but at least now I have an idea which ones I can have her try out at the store and choose from.

brooksfamily

You were not kidding. I went to BBB, BRU, and 2different Targets this week and all I can find are Turbo Boosters and Kidfits. I weighed her today and she is 37 pounds with clothes on. I'm not in a rush to more her to a booster, but was hoping to get an idea of which one(s) to look out for going on sale, but was hoping to see them in person and have her sit in them to get an idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC