Question Lightweight travel seat for 3.5yo

dpolivy

I'm looking for assistance with choosing the best lightweight travel seat for our 3.5 year old daughter. She's approx 39"+ and 33lbs. We currently use the Cosco Scenera NEXT as a travel seat, and we're looking for the next "level" as she's getting close to outgrowing it. We use a CARES harness on planes, so this is primarily for use at our travel destinations (and as a secondary/backup carseat at home). Our main seat is a Britax Advocate (FF).

I've been reading about the IMMI GO and the RSTV. Both are investments (compared to the Scenera NEXT), so I would appreciate some additional guidance before making a decision! If there are other seats worth considering, please let me know.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you need additional information.

ADS

NessieNess

Do you use rental cars or taxis at your destination, and are the destinations mostly in the US or elsewhere? That may make a difference in terms of the types/age of vehicles you will most likely travel in.

I'm by no means an expert, so I'm just going to throw out some suggestions based on the assumption that you're ok with her being forward-facing. We've been giving out a lot of Evenflo Maestros at car seat checks, and they seem pretty lightweight to me. The SecureKid DLX may be another option, though more expensive.

{swap content removed by moderator per car-seat.org swap guidelines which permit swap content only in dedicated swap forum for those with swap forum access per https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?9937-Welcome-to-Carseat-Swap!-READ-BEFORE-YOU-SELL! }

Last edited by a moderator:

MelodyoftheForest

Have you been gate-checking the NEXT? I would go for the RSTV if you are using the CARES on the plane. It will fit in a bag, so you won't have to check it. If you want to use a harnessed seat on the plane, I would add the Cosco Finale to those Nessie mentioned.

dpolivy

Do you use rental cars or taxis at your destination, and are the destinations mostly in the US or elsewhere? That may make a difference in terms of the types/age of vehicles you will most likely travel in.

I'm by no means an expert, so I'm just going to throw out some suggestions based on the assumption that you're ok with her being forward-facing. We've been giving out a lot of Evenflo Maestros at car seat checks, and they seem pretty lightweight to me. The SecureKid DLX may be another option, though more expensive.

We primarily use rental cars, however we do go to NYC and it would be nice to have a taxi-friendly option. Primary destinations are in the US, Mexico, and occasionally overseas. Yes, we are OK with forward facing; it got to be too hard to stay backwards with my car, which had "suicide doors" :)

Have you been gate-checking the NEXT? I would go for the RSTV if you are using the CARES on the plane. It will fit in a bag, so you won't have to check it. If you want to use a harnessed seat on the plane, I would add the Cosco Finale to those Nessie mentioned.

We typically check the NEXT at the counter. Are there any good "foldable" seats in this category that don't require checking, or is the IMMI GO the only one? The Finale looks interesting due to its weight (8lbs!); I think the others (Maestro, SecureKid) are a bit heavier (12lb+).

lgenne

Vehicles in Mexico generally don’t have tether anchors, right? If I’m right about that, the IMMI Go won’t be usable there at all, and I’d either choose something you can use rear facing there until she’s really booster ready, or get the RSTV (and probably avoid going there until she’s at least 4, since you can’t tether it.

The only really reasonable option that could keep her rear facing more than another inch is the Graco Contender.

flyer23

I have both an IMMI Go and an RSTV. I would absolutely prefer an IMMI Go over RSTV for a 3.5yo. When tethered, the RSTV permits less movement than a booster, but still more than a harnessed seat. I'm ok with my 5yo using it for travel, but when we are home, she sits harnessed in the IMMI Go. It's also a bit of a production to get her strapped in to the RSTV, compared to the IMMI Go -- which is another reason why we use the IMMI Go at home.

The point about lack of tethers when traveling abroad is a good one. We've run into that. Neither seat works for a 3.5yo without a tether.

The IMMI Go fits in an overhead bin if you are using CARES on board the plane.

flyer23

The RSTV tether isn't required, but it limits movement tremendously. IMO, it makes the RSTV a reasonable option for kids who are not quite booster-ready, as it is harder for them to move out of position than it is in a regular booster.

Without the tether, it is essentially a booster seat and should only be used by kids who are booster ready.

I have an almost 3yo and wouldn't dream of putting her in the RSTV untethered anytime in the near future. Even tethered would be borderline at this point. But YMMV.

dpolivy

Thanks, all. We've been to Mexico in the past (and are going again on Saturday) but I can't recall if the cars have proper tethers or not; usually the rentals (in Cabo, at least) are relatively recent model years, so I'm hoping they will. I likely won't be able to acquire an IMMI GO or RSTV in time, but it sounds like the IMMI GO might be slightly preferred as our daughter is on the younger/smaller side for a booster.

I might see if I can get a Cosco Finale as a short term solution -- not the most portable, but for the price and weight it seems like a great travel seat.

MelodyoftheForest

If you use the Finale, I would suggest taking it on the plane and installing it for her to ride in on the flight. Checking a seat isn't really safe, as you don't know how it is treated, and not all damage is visible. You can strap the seat to a rolling carry-on to get it through the airport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC