Town and Country-- safest spot in vehicle?

S

soontobemomto3

Hi,

We have a 2015 Town and Country. 2 outboard captain chairs in the middle row, and then obviously a third row. We have a 4.5 yr old FF in a Britax Frontier, 2.5 yr old RF in a Britax Marathon, and a baby that will be here in February who will be in a Graco Snugride for a few months then also in a britax marathon RF. We also have 2 Radians if necessary but we currently use those in our smaller car.

My question is, what is the safest place in the minivan with no middle seat in middle row--- The middle of the third row? Or the driver's side in the middle row? Would like to put the FF child in the safest spot possible. I am not concerned about ease of access as I'm willing to make whatever work and I'm quite petite so crawling around in a minivan isn't too difficult for me, haha. If anyone has any advice as to what the safest seat is, or where they would recommend putting the carseats, I'd appreciate it!! I've been scouring the internet for whether the middle of the 3rd row is safest in a minivan and have found so many conflicting opinions on this!

ADS

jjordan

I don't know that the statistics you are looking for are available. We do know that properly used child seats save lives, so (although I completely understand the desire for hard data on which to base your decision) the best thing you can do is to make sure that all of your seats are being used properly every single time. If having a certain seat in a certain seating location will make it less likely that the seat is used properly, then figure that into your placement decision. Beyond that I'd do what is most convenient for you. Have you had your installations checked by a CPST?

NessieNess

You may have already considered this, but not all vehicles have tether anchors in all seating positions in the third row, so this may limit your choice in where you can place the FFing child.

On a gut level, I would think tethering a FFing seat is more important than location in the vehicle, or at least we have stats showing the protective effect of top tethering.

U

Unregistered

OP here, thanks for responsres.

We can tether her in the third row middle seat and in the two captains chairs.

I've always heard middle is safest, but wasn't sure if that would apply in a third row given depth of the trunk in a minivan is less than that of a car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC