Question Britax BSafe 35 and Toyota Rav4 - center install trouble!

U

Unregistered

I also posted this as a reply to an earlier thread - sorry for double posting, I'm not sure where it belongs! :)

We are struggling to get our Britax BSafe 35 in the center back seat of our 2010 Rav4 with leather seats.

We finally got the base in tight enough and it wasn't moving anywhere, but then we couldn't clip the seat into it because the belt was in the way. The belt with the receiving end is too long.

In the car seat manual, Britax recommends consulting the car's manual to see if twisting the belt to shorten it is safe. The manual for the Rav says in several places to "ensure the belt is not twisted" (they seems to be talking about the lap belt) but does not specify anywhere whether you can twist the belt on the receiving end to shorten it. I'm reluctant to twist it if Toyota doesn't specify it is safe to do so... is there anywhere else to get this info?

The other suggestion from Britax is to raise the height of the base. How would we do this? Adding a rolled towel behind the seat didn't have any effect but we could try a bigger towel or a noodle...? Are there other safe ways to raise the height?

The woman at our car seat inspection office says we are "just as safe" in one of the side seats and will get a better install here.

Advice?

Thanks so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
To raise the base you adjust the recline angle with the gray button. Make sure the seat doesn't over recline.

Otherwise, you can twist the *stalk*, but not the belt. Up to three full twists to lower it is perfectly acceptable.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks, Wendy! So we have raised the base all the way and that's not enough. I thought maybe there were other ways -- folding towels beneath has come up in another forum...

We will try twisting the stalk of the belt to see if this helps! This makes sense. This is acceptable in all vehicles? Britax says to check our car's manual, but it doesn't address this anywhere... :S

Thanks again for the prompt response!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If it doesn't address it, they're usually ok with it.

I think Nissan says no? Not sure. There's one that says in their manual not to. You'd have seen it. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC