Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Forward of the bight with boosters?

Are there manufacturers/models that disallow or are they categorically one way or the other?

The likely belts (we have not purchased the vehicle yet) are fwd of the bight on the belt side, not the buckle side. Coming from the ceiling l/s that can remove from the seat--you know, those ones that "buckle" in and out on the non-buckle side so the vehicle seat can be removed. The boosters would currently be high back (big van with no head rests). So far all I have is a FR85 and FR click tight which I can maybe use as harnessed. There are still 2 other DC currently in backless boosters that would need highbacks in the van. Spectrum or kiddy3 for height.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Forward of the bight with boosters?

This is the kind of thing I'd have to check manuals on to be sure. I think as long as the fit is ok most boosters will allow it but definitely look up the manuals if you are thinking of buying a particular model.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Re: Forward of the bight with boosters?

I took your advice and checked the manuals. If anyone else wonders the Evenflo Spectrum, the Kiddy 3, FR85, and FR click tight all allow (or don't disallow) forward of the bight. The Frontiers of course do not allow it with LAP BELT ONLY installs in harness mode.

We bought the van. Haven't played with it much, but did notice the very back row the belts are only a hair forward of the bight. The forward ones in the other row made for good geometry; my 9 yo would have 5 stepped in that belt but his feet don't touch the floor.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT