Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Cathay Pacific and Cosco Scenera Next purchased in Canada

Seeking advice please.

We live in Canada, and are flying from Canada to Australia (YYZ -> HGK -> PER) on Cathay Pacific in two months with our son, who will be 12 months old at that time. We have purchased him his own seat and a Cosco Scenera Next car seat, which we hoped to bring on the plane. The car seat has the Canada Transport sticker on it.

On the Cathay Pacific website, they state that car seats are permitted, but “must meet one of the following safety standards
    - European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) ETSO-C100b
    - Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) TSO-C100, TSO-C100a, TSO-C100b, or TSO-C100c
    - European Safety Standard requirements of ECE Regulation 44
    - United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS 213
    - Australia/New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS) 1754”

ie. Canada is not listed.

I have got the car seat manual, and it says “This child restraint is certified for aircraft use” which I will bring along, but I am concerned if the flight staff ask to look at the sticker, they might panic and not let us use it.

Does anyone have any experience / advice?

I will phone Cathay Pacific reservations (am on hold now), the issue may be that on the day the staff on board the plane may be obstructive. 

Many thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Cathay Pacific and Cosco Scenera Next purchased in Canada

I hope you can get an answer from the airline. Whatever they tell you to do, make sure they also direct you to that policy in writing, and take a copy with you. I used to live in New Zealand, and had a couple of annoying interactions with flight attendants on transpacific flights who did not know their own airline's policy and tried to prevent me from and/or change how I saw using my daughters car seat. One even claimed to have never seen a 2yo in a car seat on a plane, and that it wasn't permitted.

I also wanted to alert you to the fact that Australia is very stringent about using only car seats that are approved to the Aus/NZ standard. Whereas New Zealand allows car seats from any of the major standards (European, US, Aus/NZ), it is (or at least was) technically illegal in Australia to use a seat that was not certified to the Aus/NZ standard, and as far as I understand it, this requirement applies to visitors as well as residents. While I do not know what your chances are of getting caught and what, if any, actual penalties would be applied if you do, I did want to warn you.

On the side, the Aus/NZ standard is a bit weird because limits for different types of car seats are based (mostly) on sitting height, and they allow forward-facing at 6 months. I'm not sure if there are any car seats that are certified to both the Aus/NZ standard and another international (Canadian/US) standard. Here's some more info:

http://infasecure.com.au/blog/types-...straint-types/
    ************************************************** **************************
    THD -8 yo/90lbs/4'5"/Britax Parkway SGL or backless Graco Turbo booster
    QED -6 yo/52lbs/4'/Britax Frontier 90 in booster mode or high-back Graco Turbo

Cathay Pacific and Cosco Scenera Next purchased in Canada

Also note that unlike FMVSS, a harnessed seat certified to CMVSS is certified for use on an airplane. So the CMVSS sticker alone means it can be used on an airplane; the manual isn’t required to prove it like in the USA.

That being said, it can’t hurt to the manual with the wording ready. And of course none of my info helps if they don’t allow Canadian seats at all.
    Last edited by TechnoGranola; 01-02-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Unregistered

Re: Cathay Pacific and Cosco Scenera Next purchased in Canada

Actually had the same question, wondering how you made out on the flight with the car seat? Any issues and were you able to rear face?