Question 2000 4 Runner without latch - need booster seat help

U

Unregistered

Good morning,

My son is turning 6 in a few weeks. He is about 44 pounds and approximately 44 inches tall. We have a Honda with latches so I feel comfortable selecting a booster once he outgrows his Britax Boulevard 70. We also own a 2000 Toyota 4-Runner that does not have latch. It is more of a backup vehicle that I use once or twice a week. He is very close to outgrowing the FF 5 point harness seat we have in there. It was a nightmare to install and I had to use a belt clamp (took over an hour to get it on the belt in Texas heat...) since we do not have latch.i am looking for a booster seat ( with or without removable back that does not require latch. I am okay if it takes time to install since it will not be removed once in there. Does anyone have suggestions as I am finding that many of them do not give installation instructions for non-latch vehicles. Thank you in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

You don't need a locking clip for your 2000 4Runner. For two reasons. One, the Boulevard has a built in lockoff. Two, your belts lock. Not having LATCH doesn't mean you must use a locking clip. Locking belts were required in 1996. Lower anchors were required in 2003. Your 2000 has locking belts, even if you didn't have a carseat with a lockoff.

His shoulders are under the top harness height of his Boulevard?

Did you have tethers retrofitted in your 2000 4Runner? I'm not sure they were available, and they are absolutely vital for a forward facing harnessed seat. If you don't have tethers, I'd move him to a booster there.

A booster simply sits on the backseat and you buckle it in with the child in it. If you don't have lower anchors, you just buckle it in when not in use. The lower anchors are just there so the booster isn't a projectile when he's not in it. These take no time to install, and I suspect you're expecting instructions like a convertible seat. :)

Wendy

DogznKatz

To add to what Wendy said, your son is probably close to the Lower Anchor weight limit in the Honda. You will need to think about switching to a seat belt and top tether installation in that vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC