Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Lila

Need to tether 94 Plymouth voyager

I'm looking for an anchor tether kit for my 1994 Chrysler Plymouth Voyager and so far the dealerships in Toronto say they don't do it, can't get the part, one offered to install a part that I have for a Mazda for 140. Not sure what to do? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Need to tether 94 Plymouth voyager

Hi,

Unfortunately, parts for a 94 Voyager are no longer in stock, cannot be ordered, and will not be retrofitted by the dealer. You definitely shouldn't use a vehicle-specific part for a different vehicle as they have different structural specs and requirements.

The available options in this situation are:

1. Rear-face children until an appropriate age, weight and height to use a booster seat.

2. Install a generic tether anchor manufactured by a child restraint manufacturer instead. Most only officially approve use with their own seats. If you can't find one made by your seat manufacturer, you can consider the risks and benefits of using another. Ez-On has approved using theirs with other seats on a case-by-case basis as long as the overall weight limit of 168 lbs child plus seat is not exceeded; their heavy duty tether anchor can be ordered through bus parts distributors.

3. "Temporary tethering" to an unused seatbelt behind the seating position is an option in 3 row vehicles in some cases. It is not always an approved solution; however it is a tested solution. As a stopgap measure it's a choice I've made myself a few times until a better solution could be found.

Good luck with your decision-making and let us know if we can answer questions about any of these options.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Thank you for your detailed reply. For now I bough extend to fit Graco for longer rear facing but I'll look into a generic tether kit.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

That's a great choice! Good luck.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!