NBB rider sleeping

lgenne

DS1 is almost 8, tall, and long waisted. He outgrew the high back on his PWSGL ages ago (maybe a year?) so he’s been in a NBB in the “around town” vehicle since then. This summer we de-harnessed him—he was in a FR90 in the long-haul vehicle. The one that got the “check fit” booster rating from IIHS. I got him a Cardiff headrest for night travel. He never sleeps at other times.

We did night travel about a month ago, and the headrest didn’t work very well for him. He’s outboard 3rd row in a 2013 Odyssey, so the posts are really far behind the vehicle headrest, so his head would just slide forward a little and he’d fall over. Then a couple days ago DH was moving stuff around and snapped off one side of the headrest by accident.

And we’re planning some night travel for the holidays.

I have 3 ideas:

1) If I install the Cardiff headrest lower, it can stick out further, and his head won’t slip off. Get a new one so it has 2 sides. (Or inspect this one more closely to see if it can snap back together. Not holding my breath.) it’s currently installed so the headrests are tall and shallow next to his head, short and deep when pushed up out of the way.

2) See if the FR90 still works for him, either harnessed or as a booster. It’s currently DS2’s, so this would require shuffling car seats. Would need a SG clip if we need it as a booster. He was close to outgrowing the harness.

3) Get a tall, no-LATCH booster like the Spectrum or Pronto that will live in the basement and only come out for trips with nighttime travel.

How long do tall HBBs last once a kid outgrows a FR90 harness?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Frontier 90 has a 20.5" harness. (of note the Parkway is 21" so that should have lasted longer... Maybe an angle thing?) The Spectrum is 24" IIRC? So that should give you a couple years even with a long torso/high rate of growth.

The Cardiff probably wasn't your husband's fault. I had one side fall off 3 in succession. They sent me replacements but eventually I gave up as it happening to 3 did not convince me it wouldn't be a sharp projectile in a crash. Also, it's SO wide I found it rather increased head slumping compared to just teaching the kid to look up.

lgenne

Thoughts on Pronto vs. Spectrum? The Pronto is slightly taller, but with less reliable belt fit, right?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The belt fit is fine. It requires vehicle support though, so doesn't work with forward-leaning vehicle head restraints.

The Pronto isn't as supportive for sleeping though.

NessieNess

Question about the Spectrum, just out of curiosity: Does the armrest design make it less suitable for kids with a wider bottom?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC