Help with 2018 Honda Odyssey Install -- Rear center third row FF carseat

beckys

Hi, we have researched for a LONG time to find the best car for our family. We ended up purchasing a 2016 Ford Flex last year and loved the vehicle, but it has had horrible safety issues and has been in the shop more than we've been able to drive it (at least it feels that way). So, Ford is now buying back our vehicle because of the issues they cannot fix. We are pressed for time to find a new vehicle, as the rental they have put us in will only be ours for a few more days, maybe the week. So, we thought we were going to go with the 2018 Honda Odyssey. I honestly HATE minivans. Despise them. But, my husband convinced me it was a safe and logical choice and so we drove one home today to play around with the magic seats and be sure our car seats installed well. Well, it was horrible. I have had the most difficult time installing our oldest child's seat. We have three children, all in Clek Foonf's. My 5 year old is still rear facing and my 22 month old is rear facing. My 6.5 year old is forward facing. We previously had her in the back of the Flex. We tried to install the forward facing seat in the third row of the Odyssey and it was NOT working. I could barely touch the car seat after install and it would slide all over. It was as if the seat belt wasn't even holding it a bit. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am seeing that the back of the Foonf is not touching the vehicle seat front as it should. When we try to push it back as hard as we can, the bottom of the car seat doesn't touch the vehicle seat. We tried uninstalling and reinstalling it 4 times, both my husband and myself. It will NOT install securely. I don't want to put her in an outboard seat because she is forward facing. So, has anyone else had an issue with installing the car seats in the third row? It seems that the vehicle seat is very reclined and I am wondering if that is the issue? I will also say that our current rental is a Ford Expedition and we have had a ton of trouble with her seat in the third row of that vehicle, as well. It installs securely and seems to be snug as can be and then it loosens as we drive. I am thinking that is because the top tether is off center and it is causing the car seat to move while we are driving by pulling on it. But, that's just a guess. I don't know if that is worth mentioning.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sorry, I meant can you take us through the steps you take to install? Are you twisting down the buckle stalk if needed? Where do you push and Where do you pull when tightening?

You can't fold down the outboard second row seat with it installed center second?

Who else is in the vehicle?

beckys

Sorry, I meant can you take us through the steps you take to install? Are you twisting down the buckle stalk if needed? Where do you push and Where do you pull when tightening?

You can't fold down the outboard second row seat with it installed center second?

Who else is in the vehicle?

We have two other children in convertible seats in the second row. Also in Foonf's.

The seatbelt stalk isn't an issue. It's the fact that the carseat back doesn't touch the front of the vehicle seat. I'm assuming that is due to the fact that there's no shifting the recline position and it is VERY reclined in the third row. We are pushing the car seat into the vehicle seat and pulling the shoulder belt. We have tried it with two of us installing together and it's not working.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
All right. Have you met with a CPST? It sounds like it may be incompatible there (have you tried outboard?) but this sounds like a hands-on assessment situation to me. If you need help finding one we can help with that.

beckys

All right. Have you met with a CPST? It sounds like it may be incompatible there (have you tried outboard?) but this sounds like a hands-on assessment situation to me. If you need help finding one we can help with that.

No. To be honest, I don't know if anyone near me. We've gone to the fire stations before to have our seats checked after install (when we were pregnant with the first two) and I end up knowing more than they do. It's a little scary.

We have tried installing outboard, although I really don't want to do that because I feel if she has to be in the rear, then I would prefer her in the middle. But, we had the same issue with the outboard seat, anyway.

I don't want to purchase a vehicle that I'm struggling to make a car seat fit in, if that makes sense. I feel that lessens my safety comfort with the vehicle. I think it may be back to the drawing board as far as a vehicle to fit three children in convertible seats comfortably:(

allmyboyz

I just purchased the 2018 odyssey and am encountering the same issue w my fllo. I can't seem to find any information on this but am I allowed to try removing the headrest? I feel like I could push it back more if I completely took it off. I have been attempting with it at the highest position.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
All 4 of my kids are outboard. :)

The above is a good point- have you removed the head restraint? If not give it a try. Most newer vehicles have head restraint interference in at least some positions! I'm so used to removing as force of habit I forgot to mention it.

If you'd like help finding a tech let us know what metro area you're in and we may be able to help. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC