Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

RF on a plane. Sureride vs Next

Hi all. We are traveling with our 19 month old in a couple weeks and had bought a sureride as our spare/travel seat. I am now worried it won't fit rear facing on the flight and I'll be left changing the harness back and forth and installing it ff for the flight (with no recline for sleep)...she's 26lb and still rf in our fllo.
    Should I just go buy a cosco next? Can it rear face on the plane for sure? I'd really rather not have to adjust harness straps or worry about the lack of incline while ff. Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: RF on a plane. Sureride vs Next

The Scenera Next will rear face without a doubt.

The SureRide will depend on your aircraft and row. I've been able to smush one into seats with a lot of leg room rear facing. Mostly, though, it won't fit rear facing well on planes.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

4. Thank You from:

RF on a plane. Sureride or Next?

Hi all. We are traveling with our 19 month old in a couple weeks and had bought a sureride as our spare/travel seat. I am now worried it won't fit rear facing on the flight and I'll be left changing the harness back and forth and installing it ff for the flight (with no recline for sleep)...she's 26lb and still rf in our fllo.
    Should I just go buy a cosco next? Can it rear face on the plane for sure? I'd really rather not have to adjust harness straps or worry about the lack of incline while ff. Thanks for any input!

Carseat Crazy

I wouldn't count on the SureRide to fit RF either. I used one for travel starting when my LO was 21 months, and I did switch between FF and RF on the plane and in the car. LO did not sleep in it, though, which was a downside for sure!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

7. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    The Scenera Next will rear face without a doubt.

The SureRide will depend on your aircraft and row. I've been able to smush one into seats with a lot of leg room rear facing. Mostly, though, it won't fit rear facing well on planes.

Wendy
    Thank you! I wanted to make sure the next would for sure rear face on the plane before buying another car seat....still has a decent recline as well?? Thanks again!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

It has a nice recline range. On a plane, depending on aircraft, it may be upright rear facing to fit.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

I'm flying with my next on Wednesday and using it rearfacing for a 2.5 year old. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it here for you. We are flying southwest.

CCO 4/15

11. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    I'm flying with my next on Wednesday and using it rearfacing for a 2.5 year old. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it here for you. We are flying southwest.
    I would appreciate that so much! I don't know if it's worth buying the next or just using our sureride...cause if I can get a good recline I'd way rather spend the money on the next! Thank You! And safe travels!

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Flew today and the next was perfect! Lightweight, easy to maneuver, and my kid had an easy time sleeping in it!

We flew 2 different planes for our 2 legs. There was more room to get a better recline on the second one but both were fine for my 2.5 year old.

CCO 4/15

14. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    Flew today and the next was perfect! Lightweight, easy to maneuver, and my kid had an easy time sleeping in it!

We flew 2 different planes for our 2 legs. There was more room to get a better recline on the second one but both were fine for my 2.5 year old.

Thank you so much! And rear facing as well! Bonus! Appreciate this so much!