Steep recline FF 4Ever

MelodyoftheForest

My LO is small and might not hit 30 pounds, my state's lower FF weight limit, until after her 4th birthday. And she may not hit 40 pounds, my state's lower booster weight limit, until she is 7. Her seat in our car now is a RF 4Ever, and she will have to be in recline 4 FF, probably for the whole time she is FF. Is that going to be super annoying for her as she gets older? The 4Ever is probably not what I would have chosen given more time, but I had to get something when her last seat was crashed out, and I felt most confident about that one of the options I had. I have a SureRide that I plan to use as her grandparent/travel seat when she is FF, so that will be pretty upright. She rides with my parents daily during the week, only short trips. I like having something more comfy in our car because we drive long distances a few times a year. Do you think a cushy combination seat would be something she would be happier to use at 6 years old instead of the really reclined 4Ever? I am mulling things over now in case I want to keep an eye out for a combination seat during Black Friday sales. I probably won't use it until next summer.

Hopefully my brain fog doesn't keep y'all from understanding me!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I really dislike the full recline 4 that Graco requires on a few of their seats because of the lack of legroom it leaves kids. We know FF kids are prone to more leg injuries so I'd be looking for a combo seat.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It would irritate the poop outta me to have to ride so reclined, so I'm going to say yes, it's a possibility she won't appreciate it and yes, I'd be looking for something else.

The Graco Atlas was just $88 and that's one of my favorites!

MelodyoftheForest

Thanks! I am leaning toward the Evenflo SafeMax 3 in 1 right now. I like that it has the temperature-regulating fabric and extra testing. I was hoping Consumer Reports would have testing of this category of seats out by the time I was looking at them. Also, there is the Chicco mystery seat that seems likely to be a combo seat. If that comes out 1st quarter next year as they have said, I might be interested in that. We loved our KeyFit and NextFit!

MelodyoftheForest

I went and did some test installations of the 4Ever today. In the position it is in now, RF behind driver in a 2017 Corolla, it is at about a 34 degree angle. FF on recline 4 in the same spot is about 49 degrees from vertical. It isn't much better in the flatter center position, where it is at 45 degrees. I also noticed that the angle of the 4Ever would cause the head section to hit the slightly forward-tilting outboard head restraints within a notch or two of where she would need it FF. In the center, the 4Ever is too wide for pretty much anyone to sit next to it. However, it didn't have a head restraint behind it to restrict the raising of the headrest because I had to remove it for installation.

So, yeah, I don't think V would appreciate being significantly more reclined FF than RF. Once I explained all this to my DH, he understood that the 4Ever was not going to be a good long-term solution. Does anyone know why there are these rules for more recline for lighter kids? I noticed the same kinds of rules on a number of combination seats from different manufactures, too. Of course, the recline on those seats shouldn't be anywhere near the 4Ever.

Last edited:

MelodyoftheForest

I figured it had a basis in testing results. Chest loads make sense.

V sat in an Evolve Platinum at BRU yesterday and loved the coziness of it. I guess she is not a kid to feel restricted with giant head wings and lots of padding! I will be keeping an eye out for deals on that and the SafeMax. I think the temperature-regulating fabrics are going to make a big difference for V’s comfort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC