Deepest HBB with narrow footprint?

m2h

Hi, my 7 year old daughter is 55lb, 53" and is all arms and legs. She's harnessed in a Frontier, but it's time to move her to a booster. She could probably last a bit longer in the harness, but the straps are cutting into her neck on either side, she's also still not able to buckle/unbuckle the harness, so school drop-off and pickup are becoming conspicuous because she still has a parent loading/unloading her (while most of her classmates have a NBB or nothing at all). We realize that she'll probably still need us to buckle her in the booster, but it's progress and gives her a chance to practice buckling a seatbelt. She's pretty good at sitting in position, but we'd prefer HBB as we'd like that reminder to her, to sit properly as she transitions to travelling without a harness. Her legs already hang off the front of the Frontier and go numb, so she has an empty diaper box to rest her feet on. Is there a HBB (in Canada) that would support her long thighs? And for added finding-a-unicorn value, is there one that would fit in the middle seat of the 2nd row Odyssey?

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Frontier is pretty deep. I can only think of one deeper HBB and I don't think they're in Canada.

If you're willing to go backless you'd get a bit more depth from some options, but at 7 and just moving to a booster she probably needs that support, I agree.

m2h

It's a 2017. We have a frontier in each of our cars and I'd like to pass them straight down to our 4 year old rather than convert them to booster mode. But if they're the deepest seats, we may have to go that route for now. Our daughter is on the spectrum, so we'd definitely like to ease her in with the HBB.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you tell me what her seated torso height (bottom to top of shoulders) is?

The problem is that most of the boosters with truly deep or expandable leg support will already be outgrown by most kids once the harness on the Frontier is nearly outgrown.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh! That's much shorter than I expected, good. That opens up several options. :)

First I'd look at the Chicco Kidfit Zip Air. It's one of the shortest so I almost never recommend it but it may be your solution; with 19.5" top setting she'd still have a year or two of fit in high back mode and it has a nice leg rest.

Another to look at is the Kiddy Cruiser 3. It's the tallest high back on the market (but doesn't go backless) and features a leg extension with a maximum front to back depth of 17.5"!

Last you can consider the Nuna Aace. It's not as tall as the Kiddy but taller than the Chicco with 21" belt guides. It has an extension panel too though I can't find a measurement.

Hopefully you like the looks of one of those! I'm not sure how they'll fit but they are worth a try out (maybe Buy Buy Baby, which should carry them?)

featherhead

Oh! That's much shorter than I expected, good. That opens up several options. :)

First I'd look at the Chicco Kidfit Zip Air. It's one of the shortest so I almost never recommend it but it may be your solution; with 19.5" top setting she'd still have a year or two of fit in high back mode and it has a nice leg rest.

Another to look at is the Kiddy Cruiser 3. It's the tallest high back on the market (but doesn't go backless) and features a leg extension with a maximum front to back depth of 17.5"!

Last you can consider the Nuna Aace. It's not as tall as the Kiddy but taller than the Chicco with 21" belt guides. It has an extension panel too though I can't find a measurement.

Hopefully you like the looks of one of those! I'm not sure how they'll fit but they are worth a try out (maybe Buy Buy Baby, which should carry them?)

I don't think we have any of those in Canada.

m2h

KetchupQueen, thank you so much! The Nuna Aace just arrived at a nearby carseat store, so I will take her to try it out this weekend. I really appreciate your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC