2003 BMW 330ci

U

Unregistered

Just found out that my wife is pregnant! I am looking at buying a 330ci, not as a family car. We have one of those already. I'm trying to put my wife at ease. Anything for you to add that will help my case would be appreciated!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Thanks for your reply! I was more wondering if anyone had any experience with car seats in a coupe. How well they fit, trouble getting in and out, etc.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Depends on the coupe. I don't think most parents are putting kids in a 14 year old BMW coupe. :)

Generally I find that putting the child opposite you, behind the passenger, is your best bet. Two reasons. The first is the obvious fit issues. A 2003 3 series coupe does not have an exceedingly generous backseat. Putting the baby behind the passenger will give you more room to drive. Then, by putting the baby behind the passenger you can kind of climb in via the driver's side and have a little more room to work, rather than trying to bend your body around your B pillar to get the baby in right next to the door. You may be able to do it if you have a base and you're clicking in a seat, but once you're in a convertible, nah. We've had a couple of small coupes with kids (we had a 2000 Porsche 911 we rear faced a child in, and we have a 2015 BMW M235i now, but our kids are older at this point) and it's doable. It would not be a car I'd use if I could avoid it, but it can work with a rear facer if you give yourself a little more time and understand it simply WILL be more difficult. My brother has driven coupes forever. But with the birth of his first child this year he's gone on to a four door car. I've put my kids in his car as well rear facing. Certainly doable. But not at all as easy as with a four door car. If your BMW will be an occasional ride for the child, no problem. If your car will be a 50/50 ride, then give yourself a little extra time and understand it won't be as easy. If your car will be a regular ride? I might buy a four door 3 series. Maybe console yourself with an M series four door rather than a 330ci, but your back will probably appreciate not having to get someone into and out of your backseat multiple times a day.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Wow, Wendy, thanks so much for your reply. Helps a ton. Also getting that info from a fellow beemer lover is perfect. Only cars I've driven for about 10 years now. My wife has the "family" car and mine would be..well..for me. I'm actually getting rid of my '07 328 to raise a bit of capital and I have a chance to get a great deal on the coupe, which is why I'm asking if it'll do.

Again, perfect response. Thanks so much

Noah

Neil22

Former 2005 330ci ZHP owner here. When I had my E46 coupe I had only one kid. Using the middle seat was doable for both our Graco and Recaro forward facing seat. I didn't mind having to deal with reaching in and taking care of putting him in his seat. My wife doesn't drive stick so it wasn't an issue. I believe I may have posted something like this over on E46fanatics.com

If I were to do it over, I'd at least consider a sedan or even a touring/wagon E46. Good luck!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Neil, as was said in your thread over there, you cannot use the anchors in the middle of a BMW, and you wouldn't need a locking clip in either a 2003 or a 2005. They have locking belts.

You can install in the middle, but you'd use the locked seatbelt, or a built in lockoff if the carseat had one.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC