Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 BMW 330ci

Unregistered

2003 BMW 330ci

Just found out that my wife is pregnant! I am looking at buying a 330ci, not as a family car. We have one of those already. I'm trying to put my wife at ease. Anything for you to add that will help my case would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 2003 BMW 330ci

Hi there. Congrats!

Not sure what you need to know. Yes, you can put carseats in the backseat. If you're looking for safety ratings, the IIHS has some. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2003

Do you have a more specific question?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

Thanks for your reply! I was more wondering if anyone had any experience with car seats in a coupe. How well they fit, trouble getting in and out, etc.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Depends on the coupe. I don't think most parents are putting kids in a 14 year old BMW coupe.

Generally I find that putting the child opposite you, behind the passenger, is your best bet. Two reasons. The first is the obvious fit issues. A 2003 3 series coupe does not have an exceedingly generous backseat. Putting the baby behind the passenger will give you more room to drive. Then, by putting the baby behind the passenger you can kind of climb in via the driver's side and have a little more room to work, rather than trying to bend your body around your B pillar to get the baby in right next to the door. You may be able to do it if you have a base and you're clicking in a seat, but once you're in a convertible, nah. We've had a couple of small coupes with kids (we had a 2000 Porsche 911 we rear faced a child in, and we have a 2015 BMW M235i now, but our kids are older at this point) and it's doable. It would not be a car I'd use if I could avoid it, but it can work with a rear facer if you give yourself a little more time and understand it simply WILL be more difficult. My brother has driven coupes forever. But with the birth of his first child this year he's gone on to a four door car. I've put my kids in his car as well rear facing. Certainly doable. But not at all as easy as with a four door car. If your BMW will be an occasional ride for the child, no problem. If your car will be a 50/50 ride, then give yourself a little extra time and understand it won't be as easy. If your car will be a regular ride? I might buy a four door 3 series. Maybe console yourself with an M series four door rather than a 330ci, but your back will probably appreciate not having to get someone into and out of your backseat multiple times a day.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

Wow, Wendy, thanks so much for your reply. Helps a ton. Also getting that info from a fellow beemer lover is perfect. Only cars I've driven for about 10 years now. My wife has the "family" car and mine would be..well..for me. I'm actually getting rid of my '07 328 to raise a bit of capital and I have a chance to get a great deal on the coupe, which is why I'm asking if it'll do.

Again, perfect response. Thanks so much

Noah