Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Carseats at max, where do we put dog in 2011 Odyssey?

We have 6 kids (5 in carseats or boosters). So the dog has to ride in the cargo area of our 2011 Odyssey because there are no extra seats. I have a Sleepy Pod harness for her when there is a seat open.
    Anyway...I cannot find a crate that will fit back there. ANY CRATE that could fit a large lab. Of course I would prefer roomy enough. She will be 70 to 80 lbs.
    I have one for dogs to 50 lb., a Pet Gear one that looks iffy about fitting her as an adult (she is a puppy now) even if she squishes a bit, but this crate barely fits. Maybe it does not even as it won't rest flat on the floor and might rip. Already it's not really for her size.

I would love a safe crate but we cannot find anything. All seem too wide. I think back there is a dangerous spot anyway, not in crumple zone...but we have nowhere else to put her. At least she needs to be contained so she does not jump into the main section.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Carseats at max, where do we put dog in 2011 Odyssey?

Is your passenger seat occupied? Could you put her in the harness there? Or is your 5 stepper old enough to sit up front?

Once she's full grown, it seems unlikely that she would be able to jump into the 3rd row from the cargo area. Roof and headrests would get in the way.

Is there any way to attach a dog harness to cargo tie downs?

CPS Fanatic

Yes all 8 of us fill up all the seats.
    I also like the idea of her being in a crate thing and then closing the trunk, or I'd worry I would close it on her face or tail if she were not in something, no matter what age.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

I'd put a barrier behind the third row: https://www.chewy.com/midwest-wire-m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And if you also want to harness him just attach it to a cargo tie down.

Teach her to sit, make her sit, then close the door. Shouldn't be an issue.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

CPS Fanatic

OK. What is this cargo tie down? Something I need to buy? She does have a carseat harness thing, crash tested and all that hooks to seatbelt. I don't know much about the cargo area though...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CTPDMom View Post
    I'd put a barrier behind the third row: https://www.chewy.com/midwest-wire-m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And if you also want to harness him just attach it to a cargo tie down.

Teach her to sit, make her sit, then close the door. Shouldn't be an issue.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    OK. What is this cargo tie down? Something I need to buy? She does have a carseat harness thing, crash tested and all that hooks to seatbelt. I don't know much about the cargo area though...
    Thanks!
    Something like this, that should already be attached to the vehicle in the cargo area. Sometimes people mistake them for a top tether anchor.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...eetiedown1.jpg

If you have unused TT anchors in your third row, those can be used too!

I'm not familiar with the seatbelt attachment of the Sleepypod. Some harnesses have a carabiner clip. If this one does, you can attach a longer strap then attach to the cargo tie down or TT anchor. You can also loop a leash through the harness then use the leash clip to affix to the cargo tie down.

Carseat Crazy

The Sleepypod harness is made to have the seat belt go through it, so it is not made to connect with a strap to anything, though you could use it like that just to keep the dog from jumping out of the back before you are ready for her.

This pops into my head: http://www.midwestpetproducts.com/mi...2suv-suv-crate
    You can probably find a better price somewhere, but I knew I could find it on the manufacturer's website. The crate is 42" long, so enough room for a big dog to lie down, but only 21" wide, so it fits in smaller spaces. There is also a 36" version, but that is probably about the size you have that would fit a 50 pound dog.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a 4Ever and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

There's no way a full size lab could turn around in a 21" wide crate.