Question Is a laptop belt with tail a non locking belt (ELR)??

U

Unregistered

I'm visiting my dad and he has a '94 Jeep Wrangler. It has 2 seat belts in the back seat but since it's a Jeep they are lap only belts with tails, so you sit down, buckle your belt then pull it tight using the tail. (Essentially the same seatbelt you use on an airplane). So I have a chicco keyfit 30 and the owners manual says not to use it with a non locking or ELR belt. Is that what these are?!? I'm so confused and I keep finding contradicting info when I google. I essentially would like to just install her carrier without the base as well because the base is secure in my vehicle already and I don't want to switch it in and out of the cars.

ADS

lgenne

That's called a locking latch plate--it definitely locks--and is really nice for installing rear facing car seats.

Has he had the seat belts replaced? At 20 years, they're due.

U

Unregistered

Thank you both so much! So it's okay to use that lap belt through her Chicco keyfit 30 carrier, without using the base?

The belts haven't been replaced. It's his "extra" vehicle that is used mostly for taking the dog on rides and pulling a trailer when needed. He lives in a really small town so the park is about 3 miles away and speed limits here are 30mph. I know accidents can happen anywhere at anytime which is why I want to make sure I am installing both car seats correctly (I have a newborn and toddler) but at the same time I'm not AS worried (about the belts not being replaced) as I would be if we were in the metroplex I live in

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is fine to use that type of belt to install your car seat.

At that age I'd at least inspect the belts carefully before using. Make sure there are no tears (even small ones), rips, stiffness, shiny stretched looking fibers, or other signs of damage or brittleness. The expected use-life of a seatbelt is around 20 years, so when you can budget to replace them it would be a good idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC