Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Is a laptop belt with tail a non locking belt (ELR)??

I'm visiting my dad and he has a '94 Jeep Wrangler. It has 2 seat belts in the back seat but since it's a Jeep they are lap only belts with tails, so you sit down, buckle your belt then pull it tight using the tail. (Essentially the same seatbelt you use on an airplane). So I have a chicco keyfit 30 and the owners manual says not to use it with a non locking or ELR belt. Is that what these are?!? I'm so confused and I keep finding contradicting info when I google. I essentially would like to just install her carrier without the base as well because the base is secure in my vehicle already and I don't want to switch it in and out of the cars.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Is a laptop belt with tail a non locking belt (ELR)??

That's called a locking latch plate--it definitely locks--and is really nice for installing rear facing car seats.

Has he had the seat belts replaced? At 20 years, they're due.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Your belt has no retractor (and a locking latch plate as mentioned.) Here is an informative page on the different types of locking belts: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Thank you both so much! So it's okay to use that lap belt through her Chicco keyfit 30 carrier, without using the base?

The belts haven't been replaced. It's his "extra" vehicle that is used mostly for taking the dog on rides and pulling a trailer when needed. He lives in a really small town so the park is about 3 miles away and speed limits here are 30mph. I know accidents can happen anywhere at anytime which is why I want to make sure I am installing both car seats correctly (I have a newborn and toddler) but at the same time I'm not AS worried (about the belts not being replaced) as I would be if we were in the metroplex I live in

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

It is fine to use that type of belt to install your car seat.

At that age I'd at least inspect the belts carefully before using. Make sure there are no tears (even small ones), rips, stiffness, shiny stretched looking fibers, or other signs of damage or brittleness. The expected use-life of a seatbelt is around 20 years, so when you can budget to replace them it would be a good idea.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!