Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Tall skinny child question

Hello,

My 3.5 year old is 98 cm tall (38.5 inches) and has just reached 13 kg (28.6 lbs). We have her in a Britax DualFix at the moment, but she has maximum 1 cm of room before the tops of her ears clear the head support. Looking at booster seats, all 5 point harness seats with ISOFIX capability say from 15 kg. I also haven't been able to find any car seats that clearly state they are for children taller than 100 cm. In this case, what's the best recommendation?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tall skinny child question

Can you please let me know what you find out? My tall 3.5 year is outgrowing is Diono RXT. I am wondering if there are 5 point harness for taller kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy0313 View Post
    Can you please let me know what you find out? My tall 3.5 year is outgrowing is Diono RXT. I am wondering if there are 5 point harness for taller kids.
    The RXT goes to 57" according the manual (or until their ears are above the top). My very tall 5.5 year old still fits in hers. Have you raised the wings?

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Dualfix is a poor choice for a tall child since seat shell is short. Age 3.5 is tough since your child sit rear facing but purchasing another rear facing seat seems like a large expense. There are plenty of rear facing seats which last a couple of years longer but this might not be a good solution for you. 3.5 is a bit early forward facing both for size and maturity. At 98 cm your child will be borderline to fit decent in a high back booster seat.

Weight of the child is of little or no relevance. If a child weigh 13 or 18 kg is not of importance. The 15 kg weight limit its there to make sure people don't place kids too young in the seat. I mentioned in another thread that Britax Adventure is a great high back booster if you want to use this type of seat. It will usually fit ok for a child 100 cm of height although it depends in build of the child. Seat is light weight, cheap and comfortable. Great travel seat and so cheap you can leave it at your destination if you prefer not to bring it for the trip back home.
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.