Got a Laptop!!!!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I checked 12 carseats last night and when we were putting things away I saw our store room for the first time. We had several Laptops, so I got to take one home. They were manufactured July 2002. So, they will expire next year, but it will work great in DHs 3 seater pick-up truck. I can use it for at least 2 if not 3 of our kids. I hate moving the Nania, so I will probably use it instead of moving it.

Stefanie

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Score!!!! ( :eek: I used a slightly expired one on a trip last year... I thought better an expired laptop than a lapbelt only in a certain situation we had to ride in... :eek:)

Stretchy Glue

I took a class with Sue Emery (one of the LATCH manual authors) and she told me that because they aren't plastic, they don't degrade and would be able to be used longer. Mine is rarely used at all, and has never been left outside in the cold or hot car because it's just a spare, I might keep mine a bit longer, but I'll always use mine for demos.

dhardawa

I took a class with Sue Emery (one of the LATCH manual authors) and she told me that because they aren't plastic, they don't degrade and would be able to be used longer. Mine is rarely used at all, and has never been left outside in the cold or hot car because it's just a spare, I might keep mine a bit longer, but I'll always use mine for demos.

I would be VERY hesitant to do that since there are plastic components and Britax says six years.

scatterbunny

We loved our Laptop, so excited you got one! :D We fot ours from Julie, then sent it to Doriansmummy for a friend of hers who had children riding in lapbelt-only spots.

It came in really handy in the center of Mark's 1993 Ford F150 single-cab truck, until Hayley got too tall (the tips of her ears were over the top of the vehicle seatback) to use it. It also worked great in the forward-of-the-bight lapbelt spot in my old 1994 Mazda MPV.

I would use it longer than six years without worry, probably. ;)

LimePink

Senior Community Member
Oh, that's so neat! What a great find for you. I wish I could just see one of these things in person! Why did Britax stop making them anyway...anyone know?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, I so wish Britax would figure out how to make them LATCH compatible :( I am forever indebted to Kecia for sending me her Laptop! Not only has it come in handy for a few homeschooler field trips, but it's going to come in handy on a daily basis for Leila next semester -- another local mama is kind enough to babysit her for me during my college courses (there is absolutely NO other alternative) & will need an easy to use seat: with other kids in the car, I feel better with the Laptop verses a booster since it crash tests more like a harness + she'll be in the center.... The Laptop is one seat that I would feel comfortable using till the NHTSA 10 year limit because of its unique design.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
When the subject of why the Laptop was discontinued in the U.S. has come up in past threads, wasn't it more than LATCH incompatibility? I thought it was also due to concerns that anyone who didn't know better would mistakenly lump the Laptop with the horrid shield boosters from Dorel and Evenflo and the lawsuits involving those manufacturers. A pity, too, because the Laptop is quite different from the ill fated Grand Explorer/shield boosters. :(

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Maybe, I wasn't savvy enough at that time & when I 1st heard about the Laptop everyone was pushing the point that it is so very different than those horrid shield boosters :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't get the LATCH thing though - boosters don't have to have LATCH... I thought that the laptop is considered a booster?

sanctareparata

Can you take pics of your kiddo in it, in the car? No face necessary. ;) I'm totally curious - how does the seatbelt work with it? What if kiddo has a leg itch - can they reach it? How does it work in general?

It's so WEIRD looking! (I Googled some images).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC