Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Maxi Cosi Pria 85 vs Chicco Nextfit

I'm thinking about a convertible for my 14 month old DD. She's about 21lbs and 29"? Currently in a Graco Click Connect something.

I was leaning towards the Pria mostly because I love the Passionate Pink cover. I had a ton of suggestions for the Chicco though.

It will be installed in an 06 Odyssey in a captains chair.

Any info on if I'm able to put one of the magnetic buckles from the Pria 85 Max on the regular 85?
    Diana- mom to 3 handsome boys

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Maxi Cosi Pria 85 vs Chicco Nextfit

You cannot change out the chest clips at this time. I don't know if that'll ever change in the future.

The Pria is harder to install, bulkier, and doesn't last as long rear facing as the NextFit. It's generally not a recommended seat. But yes, it comes in pink. Your daughter is petite, so the rear facing limits may not be an issue, but I'd head to a store and see about installing them both in your car and see how you feel about them.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Carseat Crazy

We had a Pria 70 which got crashed out (my daughters favorite seat) and replaced with an 85. We bought the Pria 70 specifically for how compact it was when rear facing, but along with the seat being crashed out the car was totaled so rearfacing space wasn't as big an issue. Honestly, the 85 is my daughters least favorite. The model we have the material is weird...almost like a crusty sweatshirt. While I can install it easily now there was a learning curve, especially the rf install. It's got great legroom for how compact it is, but in an Odyssey I think you'd have other options.

I don't have a Nextfit to compare it too. The other convertibles we have are Britax, Diono, and Graco. The Graco Extend to fit is hands down both mine and my daughters favorite. It does come in pink, although its not totally pink, more like blacck with pink accents. I loved our Britax seats too, until she got taller and then it began to get a bit tough to get her into the seat when she was still rf.

CPS Fanatic

This might never be an issue for your kid, but my nephew's Nextfit is currently sitting unused. He's rear facing, almost 3, and has a long neck and a big head. At one point a few months ago, the choices were to have the harness way above his shoulders or his head sticking out about an inch above the top of the shell. It's possible his shoulder height has increased enough in the last few months that he could use it again, but they had to come up with an alternative and haven't bothered switching back.

Which color 85 do you have? Is it the sweater collection light pink?

The Extend to fit was my original top choice but I hate black car seats. When my boys were little it seemed like there were so many cute girly options and now that I have a girl it seems like everything is black ��

Can you not adjust the shoulder clip height on them?!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyCrazy View Post
    Which color 85 do you have? Is it the sweater collection light pink?

The Extend to fit was my original top choice but I hate black car seats. When my boys were little it seemed like there were so many cute girly options and now that I have a girl it seems like everything is black ��
    The Extend2Fit Rosie pattern is a lot of pink and only some black. I'm annoyed with all the black car seat covers out there too.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyCrazy View Post
    Can you not adjust the shoulder clip height on them?!
    Do you mean on the NextFit Igenne mentioned? Yes, the shoulder harness height can be adjusted, but on some kids, the headwings that move with the harness adjustment are not tall enough to contain their head. In the case of Igenne's nephew, when the straps were coming from at or below his shoulders, the shell of the headwings did not come up high enough for the family to be comfortable using it. I had a NextFit that was recently crashed out, and even with my daughter's very small head, she did not always meet the 1" rule that most other seats have. Chicco does not require the child's head to be 1" or more below the top of the shell, but it certainly seems safer for there to more shell above the child's head. We now have a Graco 4ever, and she has miles of space above her head with the harness at the correct height!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a Boulevard and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

10. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Sorry - I've been off line for a few days. Ours is grey:
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Cosi-Pri...0144A6QNQ?th=1

It's the light grey part that bothers her. The darker grey part is soft and smooth. When we had a 70 the whole seat was that darker grey smooth material.