Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

6 y/o with Dwarfism - reclining booster?

My 6y/o son has achondroplasia dwarfism. He is 39 inches tall, but his torso is the same size as an average 6-7 year old and his legs (especially thighs) are quite short. As a part of dwarfism his spine curves making his bottom stick out more than usual.

We've had a tricky time finding a car seat he can be comfortable in for rides longer than 20 minutes. Our Dione Radian and Graco Nautilus sit too upright for him and don't have enough padding in the seat.

The only car seat he's ever been comfortable in is a Britax Marathon. Lots of padding and a decent recline. However, though he's within the weight and height range for such a seat - his torso is too tall and his head sticks up over the top.

Though I would prefer a five point harness, I think a high back booster would be more comfortable. A little less restrictive so that he can shift his weight from hip to hip.

The only high back booster with a good recline that I can find is the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex, but it doesn't look very padded.

Any help? Other car seats? Or can I use some type of padded seat cushion?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: 6 y/o with Dwarfism - reclining booster?

The Clek Oobr might be worth looking at, but if you think a harness would be helpful, you might want to seek out a special needs trained tech in your area to see about a booster with recline and positioning harness and additional supports if needed. Do you need help finding one?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!