Most comfortable hbb

perrymelis

Want to get rid of a Pioneer and switch to a dedicated hbb for my oldest. Need a very comfortable hbb for long trips. Must be very well padded in the seat area. Any opinions on the Diono Monterey?
TIA

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
One factor you may find is an issue in comfort is seat depth. How old is the child? How long are legs?

The Monterey is pretty comfortable for a lot of kids but I don't think it's the *most* padded on the market. It also requires vehicle support behind it so be careful about selecting it for seating positions that need the vehicle headrest removed to prevent large gaps.

Cybex and Kiddy make some very padded boosters, as do a few others, but a lot does depend on your child's size and build.

aeormsby

Any reason not to use the Pioneer as a booster? My kids find the Frontiers very comfortable, and more roomy as they got bigger and other dedicated boosters were too snug.

perrymelis

Any reason not to use the Pioneer as a booster? My kids find the Frontiers very comfortable, and more roomy as they got bigger and other dedicated boosters were too snug.
We've tried to use it in hbb and the seat belt doesn't retract well. Kind of frustrating for him and me, since he is in the 3rd row. We have 3 Britax seats (incl frontier CT and boulevard CT), but it's just not working for what we need now. He is a young 6 right now, avg weight, but a bit on the shorter side. I'm trying to work with him to find a compromise on carseats. He is in first grade and there are new influences this year. So, I'm trying to balance safety and letting him "grow up" a bit. We take a lot of long trips and he does very well in a booster, so I'd like to find a hbb with a decent level of comfort in our choice.

perrymelis

One factor you may find is an issue in comfort is seat depth. How old is the child? How long are legs?

The Monterey is pretty comfortable for a lot of kids but I don't think it's the *most* padded on the market. It also requires vehicle support behind it so be careful about selecting it for seating positions that need the vehicle headrest removed to prevent large gaps.

Cybex and Kiddy make some very padded boosters, as do a few others, but a lot does depend on your child's size and build.
He's 6 and still in a size 5 pant, one of the shorter kids in 1st grade, but avg weight.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok, most things work well back there. Besides Cybex, you might look at the Maxi-Cosi Rodifix. My daughter used one back there and there is some recline (to match the seat back but it was decently reclined when matching that seat recline.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC