Question Help! Having lots of issues with my Evenflo SureRide

karid08

Hello,
Last year I got a recommendation for the Evenflo SureRide as a secondary seat for my toddler. She is now 26 months, about 28 lbs and about 31" I think; so she is about average height and on the lighter side. I intend to keep her RF for as long as possible.
Anyway, I use this carseat in our second vehicle, although she does travel in it a few times a week, and the idea was that I would use this seat for air travel as well.
When I bought it last year, she was still in her Chicco key fit, and since she was on the petite side we were able to use it much longer than expected. The carseat sat in storage unopened until this late spring. We started using it around May and it has been a headache since.
The installation was not that great at first with our 2013 CRV so I made an appointment with the fire department and he helped me install it. He gave me a few tips and the installation although not that easy, now felt secure.
The main problem is with tightening the harness. It is so so so difficult to tighten it to keep my daughter properly buckled that we actually avoid using that car now when we go out:mad:
The technician (the chief firefighter) also had this issue and noticed that there is a large gap between the slots for RF and the slots for FF and right now my daughter is in between. We believe this is one of the main reasons for the harness to be so so difficult to tighten. It's like the slots are way below her shoulder blades and the next one up which they say if for FF is over an inch above her shoulders. So we are stuck.
I hate, hate, hate this seat and don't know what to do. She is comfortable, but when I tighten her the way she should be, she complains and doesn't like it at all.
Our main seat is the Graco Milestone and just like with the Chicco, we've never had an issue with it, just like with all the other seats we have used with my older daughter. So it's not like we're new at this.
Anyway, sorry about the long post. I would really appreciate any help! Thank You!

ADS

lgenne

For discomfort, you might try adding harness pads to it. Only use the ones approved by Evenflo: http://www.evenflo.com/noname/83444502.html (although it looks like they're out of stock at the moment ☹️) Shirts with collars can help, too.

The gap between the 3rd and 4th set of slots is a known issue, and there's not much to do about it.

It's not clear from your post whether you're having trouble getting it tight enough. Is that an issue?

karid08

The seat is tight on the car. But I cannot tighten the harness on my daughter properly. It is so hard to tighten it, that it is a 5-10 mins struggle every time. So I feel my daughter is not secure in it because of this.

lgenne

Then I suspect the splitter plate (the metal piece on the back that the two harness loops attach to) might be getting hung up on something. Usually if you pull down on the splitter plate, then tighten, it tightens relatively easily.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC