Question 3rd row latch??? help please!

beths

Hi everyone, I am new here, my kids re 8, 5 and 5. And TINY. My 8 year old is about 42 lbs and we are working hard to get one of the twins to hit 30 pounds by Oct 1 to keep her rear facing (CT law is changing OCT 1 that kids need to be 30 lbs to forward face).
Right now they are all in 5 point harnesses in a row. It works for now. But my 8 year old is big enough for a booster (I like the high back option).

Here is the problem. In our current car, to use the high back booster, I would want it latched in, so it is not a projectile in the worst case scenario. That would put a twin in the far back and that would not work for me, because I need to buckle and unbuckle them. the booster cannot go in the back because there is nothing keeping it in place (no latch and I can't put it in with the seat belt because she would need the seat belt on her).

Our lease on this car is up soon so we are thinking minivan. Is there a mini van or SUV with a third row latch option? I want her seat latched in before she goes to the seat belt. And I need to be able to access the twins. So my 8 year old would get the back (which thrills her!)

From googling it looks like Crysler Pacifica and Kia Sedona are the options but I feel like there are likely more. Can you all help please?
many thanks!!

ADS

lgenne

The Pacifica has offset lower anchors in the 3rd row, which means you can't use the lower anchors with a booster, because the seat belt won't line up with the booster then.

What vehicle do you have? What car seats? Do you actually want a new vehicle, or would you want suggestions for making your current vehicle work?

The 2011+ Honda Odyssey is the best option for LATCH with multiple kids, hands down.

MelodyoftheForest

I am also in CT. I just wanted to mention that the 30 pounds would be with clothes and shoes that she would normally wear in the seat. That is how she would be weighed if you went to a seat check, and that is how to weigh her for the stated limits for the seat itself. Also, the LATCH on boosters is mostly to keep the seat from being a projectile when it is unoccupied. Boosters without LATCH should be buckled in with the seat belt when unoccupied.

beths

The Pacifica has offset lower anchors in the 3rd row, which means you can't use the lower anchors with a booster, because the seat belt won't line up with the booster then.

What vehicle do you have? What car seats? Do you actually want a new vehicle, or would you want suggestions for making your current vehicle work?

The 2011+ Honda Odyssey is the best option for LATCH with multiple kids, hands down.

Thanks, that rules out the Pacifica...
We have an Infiniti SUV now, with a third row, but no latches in the third row. My car seats are 2 boulevards and a Radian. Our lease is up, so we are getting a new vehicle.
From my research, the odyssey seems like a best bet, thanks!

beths

I am also in CT. I just wanted to mention that the 30 pounds would be with clothes and shoes that she would normally wear in the seat. That is how she would be weighed if you went to a seat check, and that is how to weigh her for the stated limits for the seat itself. Also, the LATCH on boosters is mostly to keep the seat from being a projectile when it is unoccupied. Boosters without LATCH should be buckled in with the seat belt when unoccupied.

Thanks, and good to know about her weight. The projectile is why I want the latch. I am not convinced I would remember to buckle it every time she is not in the car. But if the Odyssey has third row latches then I should be good! Fingers crossed!!

lgenne

Oh, they added another set of lower anchors? I knew they'd added a tether anchor over there, I thought that was all.

The lower anchors for the center are offset, and there are none for the drivers side 3rd row. If you're looking at used vehicles, there is no LATCH at all passenger side 3rd row on the 2011-2013 Sienna.

The Odyssey has them in both outboard positions 3rd row, and tether anchors in all 6 rear positions. (Plus 3 more sets of lower anchors in the 2nd row.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC