Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Emma312

3 seats in a 2016 Outback?

We have a 2016 Subaru Outback, a 3-year-old and twins on the way. Can we fit two infant seats (with base) plus a convertible seat, or are we doomed to minivan land?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 3 seats in a 2016 Outback?

With the right three you can keep your car.

How tall and heavy is your three year old? What's your budget for new seats? What seats do you already own? We'll try to keep this as efficient as possible with your dollars, but there is no combination of carseats we could suggest that will cost more than a minivan.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Emma312

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    With the right three you can keep your car.

How tall and heavy is your three year old? What's your budget for new seats? What seats do you already own? We'll try to keep this as efficient as possible with your dollars, but there is no combination of carseats we could suggest that will cost more than a minivan.

Wendy
    Hi Wendy,

My 3-year-old will probably be around 35 pounds when the twins are born next year. He's currently rear-facing in a Chicco Nextfit. We had a Chicco Keyfit when he was an infant but it was a hand-me-down from friends and is expired now, so we'll be starting fresh with 2 infant seats. I'd prefer to start them off in true infant seats with bases if possible.

Thank you!
    Amalie

Will your oldest be rear facing when the babies come? Definitely doable to make it happen, but I just want to lay out the car as efficiently as possible.

The Britax B Safe 35s fit small babies well, front to back compactly, and are quite narrow. They'd be the first I'd check for the babies. Then the Chicco Keyfit you used before as well. Maybe also the Urbini Sonti.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Emma312

Hi Wendy, my 3-year-old is currently 32 lbs, 37 inches tall, and he'll grow a bit before my due date next April. He's currently rear-facing in a Chicco Nextfit. We'll need to start fresh with 2 new infant seats for the twins.

Unregistered

He's rear-facing now but I'm not opposed to turning him as he'll be 4 when the new babies come. Is it possible to fit a convertible (even if we have to get something different from the Nextfit) in the middle and two infant seats with bases on the sides?

PS Sorry I replied twice earlier--thought my first attempt didn't work.

So for him rear facing I'd look at the Clek Foonf/Fllo and Diono Radians with angle adjuster.

For forward facing I'd look at the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, or Cosco Finale.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Emma312

Thanks so much for the recs! One more question: are there any particular infant seats you think would fit best for the twins, or are they all about the same size?

You didn't see the recommendations I gave yesterday?

The Britax B Safe 35s fit small babies well, front to back compactly, and are quite narrow. They'd be the first I'd check for the babies. Then the Chicco Keyfit you used before as well. Maybe also the Urbini Sonti.
    Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Emma312

Ah, OK, sorry I missed that and thanks again!

Carseat Crazy

I've got a 2011 Outback and the only way I've ever had luck with 3 across is with our Diono in the middle. I also have a Graco Tranzitions and when that is in the middle it pushed the outboard seats out too far. Granted, I wasn't working with infant seats, I was working with 3 convertibles. I've had the Diono both rear and forward facing in the middle without issue.

LibDay

Emma what did you end up doing? I’m in the same situation! I went to the fire station today with 2 KeyFit30 seats and a Diono Radian and it was a no go! Did you make anything work!

PamStevenson

Hi!
    I just wanted to share that I just installed a Chicco KeyFit 30, a Diono Pacifica (the older model before the Radian) and a Evenflo Symphony 65 in a Subaru Outback 2019. My kids are 5 yo (Diono), 3 yo (Evenflo) and 8 mo (Chicco) and the older kids are facing forward.

When I was googling to see if someone had done it before, wasn’t able to find anything. Hope it helps someone!