Question Booster seat questions for 6 year old

MariahMichaels

I'm looking for a booster seat for my DD, she is 6 years old and will be turning 7 in November. She 51" tall, 79 lbs., our primary car is a 2008 Dodge Avenger, secondary car is a 2000 Chevy Cavalier. We are planning to replace the Cavalier with a SUV, either a Kia or a Hyundai. She's been using a Diono Radian RXT. I'm not sure if I should go with a backless booster or not. DD really wants to because her friends have backless, but I'm concerned about safety. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

ADS

aeormsby

I preferred HBB for my kids when they started using boosters, the back can help remind the kids to stay in position since it contains them more like they're used to in a harnessed seat. It also helps keep them upright if they fall asleep in the car. My DS couldn't stay upright when sleeping until he was 9, and he still prefers the HBB for longer trips if he might fall asleep. But safety-wise I don't think there is any significant difference between a HBB & NBB if the seatbelt is positioned correctly and there is headrest support (vehicle headrest or tall seatback for the NBB). Both of my kids started using NBB on occasion around age 6 or even earlier if it was something like a carpool situation where it was just easier.

With her size and age you could look at a HBB with a removeable back for your primary vehicle and a NBB for your second vehicle if you want. The Britax Parkway and Diono boosters are both good for bigger kids in a HBB. I'm not sure which others are on the taller side.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some evidence suggests a benefit to high back boosters in side impacts but it's not clearly defined or truly quantifiable.

I definitely prefer it for support when tired and as a reminder to stay in position for new riders though. Riding in a booster takes practice and a supportive comfortable high back helps with the process.

Ms B

Team HBB here. No reason not to that I can think of. The ones that we have picked up are light, easy to use, and a lot more comfortable for The Biscuit than any LBB would be. He is about the same height as your DD (but only about 55 pounds) and understands perfectly that he will be in the most protective seat possible as long as I can get him into one!

MariahMichaels

I purchased the Britax Parkway SGL for my DD, but I think it may be too narrow around the waist/thighs. There's really no room between her thigh and the seatbelt guide. I'm afraid when she grows that it will become uncomfortable, she's been in the 90% for height and weight since she was 3 months old. I'm looking at the Diono Monterey XT as it appears to have a wider seat, but I'm hesitant to purchase it because it requires a head support behind it. My daughter prefers to be in the center seat which does not have head support. My husbands 2000 Chevy Cavalier does not have head supports in any positions in his backseat, she only rides in his car maybe a 3-4 times a month. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

aeormsby

I think they may have stopped selling in the US recently, but you may still be able to find one. The Recaro Performance Booster is definitely wider than the Parkway (we've had both). It's also adjusts nice and tall and doesn't require the headrest support. It is a wide seat though and depending on the distance between the seatbelt attachments it may not work in your center position. When we had it in our Saturn Outlook (outboard) it would often need to bee slid over so it wasn't on top of the buckle stalk (before buckling, once it was buckled it wouldn't slide over the top).

NessieNess

I realize this is late, but I just wanted to mention that my 8yo daughter who's 90lbs and 4'6" (another 90th percentile kid) is in a Parkway SGL and while it is a tight fit, she doesn't complain as long as it has the back on. With the back off, however, she slides back further in the seat and complains that it is too tight. There's also a non-padded are where the back slides into the bottom that she said was uncomfortable. I'm hoping we can get her to passing the 5 steps before she outgrows the seat in HBB mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC