Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Carseat or booster on a school "van"?

My 5 year old attends a private school in NJ and they have their first field trip coming up at the end of the month. The letter that came home mentioned the kids would be taking the "van" to the location - it's one of those 12-15 passenger vans. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the kids were still required to use either a carseat or booster in this type of vehicle? Or is there a policy that makes the school exempt from the car seat requirements? I'm not okay with my 5 year old driving without a car seat and told my husband that I will drive him to the location myself and pick him up afterwards if necessary. I would like to approach the teacher with some information though, because maybe she truly does not understand the safety implications? I think in the past she has taken her classes on trips using a bus, but this year the class is so small it doesn't warrant a bus.

If anyone can point me to any links online that I can share with the teacher, it would be much appreciated! I have been searching for any policy or regulation for NJ for these types of vehicles and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. If it's truly against the law for them to take the kids without a seat or booster I'd like to share that info.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Carseat or booster on a school "van"?

I don't know about the law, but it is absolutely a safety issue. I would feel just like you do in that situation.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a 4Ever and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Unregistered

Re: Carseat or booster on a school "van"?

Here in Michigan it doesn’t matter if it’s a bus or a van, the same rules apply to car seat use as in a car! The only exception is that a bus with internal permanent (called white seats) safety straps can be used for students that would normally fall into the “booster” category!
    Hope this helps