Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

New vehicle recommendations

My husband is starting new vehicle research.

We have 5 year old girl booster rider (Evenflo Spectrum in his car, also have Kiddy Cruiser 3 in my Honda Pilot) and 3y 9m Girl RF in Grace E2F. Planned to RF until 5ish (although with the new research, I'm wondering if that's the best decision). Both girls are top of growth charts height-wise and 75% weight.

He is considering the following (likely new)
    Ford F-150
    Chevy Colorado
    Toyota RAV4 hybrid
    Toyota Highlander hybrid
    Mazda CX-5
    Mazda CX-9
    Honda Ridgeline
    Honda CR-V

I understand the Rav4 has been difficult for car seats, but unsure if this is still the case. Chevy Colorado safety ratings don't look great.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: New vehicle recommendations

The only one of those that I've done any research on recently was the Mazda CX-9. It had surprisingly bad safety reviews so we took it off our list. It surprised me because we have a Mazda3 and they have great safety reviews.

I was looking at the IIHS safety ratings. Looks like the new 2017 CX-9 have good reviews, much different than even two years ago (I guess we were looking at used and it was a year ago so the 2017 weren't out yet).
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - Incognito, FR80 booster & Harmony Literider
    DS - 12/07 - Recaro Performance Booster & 2 Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

4. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by aeormsby View Post
    The only one of those that I've done any research on recently was the Mazda CX-9. It had surprisingly bad safety reviews so we took it off our list. It surprised me because we have a Mazda3 and they have great safety reviews.

I was looking at the IIHS safety ratings. Looks like the new 2017 CX-9 have good reviews, much different than even two years ago (I guess we were looking at used and it was a year ago so the 2017 weren't out yet).
    He looked at one several years ago, and we did the same. He puts a lot of miles on his vehicles for work, so it's time to start again.

Thanks

I don't think the overlapping seat belts have been changed in the Rav4. We had one of the older models, and it was a great vehicle if you thought of it as a 4 passenger one rather than a 5 passenger one. There were no problems with just two kids, but you can't do three across.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Carseatblog just did a Highlander review! https://carseatblog.com/43360/2017-t...rseats-safety/
    Cutie #1 (11 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (9 years) riding in a Recaro Probooster

Cutie #3 (6 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (4 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (1 year) riding in a Nuna Rava